Oil over paint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmwatt

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a jewellery box (here) but I need some advice as to how to finish it. I was originally intending on doing an inlay on the top of a daisy flower, but I don't have the time now for that (about a week and a half), so I was thinking of painting it on perhaps. What I don't know is how do I go about doing this? :-k

I was thinking I would use acrylic paint perhaps first after the box is all sanded etc, then put some Chestnut hard wax oil to finish it? Would this change the colours of the paint underneath, and would it affect the sealing of the wood etc? I'm a total beginner at this, so any advice appreciated! :roll:

Thanks.

I would suggest you'd be better not finishing with an oil as they do all have a tendancy on turning slightly yellow and anyway they are designed to be applied onto bare surfaces.

You could try a waterbased lacquer? Something like Aquacoat SP it won't yellow and is much more likely to sit on top of your acrylic paint. Always worth a test first though.

Hope this is of some help

Ian McAslan

Hi Ian, thanks for the info. I'm just wondering what combinations of paint / finish would work. I'm guessing as a rule, what I'll have to do is paint the flower first, then use oil/lacquer? If I did it the other way around, would the paint stick to the finish?

What sort of finish does a lacquer give? I want to stay away from a varnish style finish as I want to feel and see the grain whilst also keeping a clear finish that just brings out the natural colours of the wood. I've ordered the oil wax already so I'll try that first on a scrap piece first then see how it goes.

You're spot on paint/stain first then seal and protect it with a lacquer. It will be interesting to see how you get on with the hardwax oil. Apply a couple of coats and then two days later rub a coin over the area, if it doesn't lift or mark you know you're onto a winner.

Back