Oil on spirit dye

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finishing an oak project and want to use a spirit dye (because I already have some) and then finish with Danish oil. I checked the Colron web site and they do not recommend Oil on spirit dye, could I give the dye a coat of water based sanding sealer then use Danish or would it be safer to use a water based Dye.

Newt
I've added stain to danish oil-that worked out quite well and was colour fast. Maybe that's worth a go, especially if you have you heart set on using a particular stain. Try it on a scrap first to make sure it will work out ok.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi Newt

The thing here is that the Colron Spirit Dye is, as far as I know, white spirit based which means that the solvent in the oil is likely to reactivate it and disturb it, usually ending up in a patchy effect.
It's also worth mentioning that (again as far as I know, things may have changed) these stains sometimes use fairly cheap dyestuffs which may not be very fade resistant/colour fast.

The water based sanding sealer would have been a good solutions except that you want to put oil over it and oil works best on unsealed wood.

I reckon your best bet would be to use a different type of stain; a water based one should be fine or a Spirit Stain which isn't based on white spirit, but modestly prevents me from naming any names.

As Philly suggests, some experimentation on scraps is always advisable.

Back