Oil gun - grease gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockplane

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a cheap secondhand oilgun - is there actually any difference between the small pump action guns, and if so is there a way of telling them apart?

There's not much between them.
Just the ones with truly flexable spouts' can empty themselves, if the nozzle is below the oil level in the can. Makes a real mess!
2nd hand ones, may need a number of pumps to prime, before the oil actually comes out, often with a bit of a squirt. Which will miss the target! Leaking cans is not unknown, beware of a totally empty one, that is very clean, it's either new or the leak is being hidden.

Bod

Thanks Bod, but perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I meant the pump action guns (Telecamit, or however you spell it type) some are oil, some are grease, is there a way of telling them apart?

A grease gun has a spring loaded nipple on the end of the spout. Its designed to be pushed onto a GREASE lubrication nipple and semi solid grease is pumped into the joint / bearing.
Grease guns can be small push operated, or large lever operated.

An oil can is ONLY for oil, and will when pumped, allow oil to run out over the part.

Back