Oil Free Piston Vacuum Pumps for laminating wood over a form?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_duke

Reaction score
I've been researching for quite some time now on which vacuum pump to get to set up a system for laminating wood over a form in a vacuum bag (acoustic guitar sides over a mold to be specific). It seems that a dry running/oil free rotary vane vacuum pump would be what I'm after?

However, I've come across an Oil Free Piston Vacuum Pump/Oil Free Piston Compressor. Would this be suitable for for my needs? Or would any alterations need to be made to it for this application?

Edit: This is the pump/compressor in question.
https://duerr-technik.eu/download-1...gsanleitungen/0678106030L02_1707V003_EN_1.pdf
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
A link to the pump/compressor you have found would be useful in order to provide comment.
I run an oil sealed vac pump for my bag press system and the only down side is a wisp of oil vapour in the discharge so ventilation is a consideration.
Brian

A link to the pump/compressor you have found would be useful in order to provide comment.
I run an oil sealed vac pump for my bag press system and the only down side is a wisp of oil vapour in the discharge so ventilation is a consideration.
Brian
Thanks. I've added an link to my original post.

Last edited:
Having looked at the details on their website I would say that it could well do the job although you don't say which model it is. It looks as though these vac pumps are for small flow/high-vac applications which is appropriate for vac forming. You would need to get the connection hose and fittings.
Is that the pump in your photo? Can you run it, possibly with a vacuum gauge fitted?

Whilst I'm sure that pump will provide an adequate vacuum, I would advise you to look for a rotary pump. If you are using a vacuum bag, the pump is often run continuously over several hours. This is to compensate for small air leaks in the bag and plumbing which are almost unavoidable. Running a piston pump for this lenght of time would soon wear out the mechanism. I've had a rotary pump for over 20 years and with long periods of continuous running, have only had to replace the vanes once.

Oiled, or oil-free, will make no difference to the workpiece, if that is what concerns you. You will extract air from the vacuum bag; any oil vented by the pump will be outside the bag, and will not be able to reach the workpiece, as Yojevol stated.

Before you start spending lots of money try using the compressor (connected in reverse) from a fridge or freezer.

You can usually find somebody offering one "free to collect" on Gumtree or maybe at the local tip. Getting the compressor out is easy and then just take the body to the tip. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to set one up as a vacuum pump.

I have been using one for a vacuum chamber (actually a 10 ltr aluminium cook pot with a 15mm acrylic lid) for air removal from resins (Cactus Juice) and it gets down to 90% vacuum with ease.

Latest posts

Back