Oil for P/T gearbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
On the basis that there is not a section of the Forum for this query, I have fallen back on "General Woodworking". Apologies as this is the mucky end of wood working!!!

I have a Cooksley P/T which has a separate motor and associated gearbox for the thicknesser rollers. This integrated unit is on my bench at the moment for general maintenance.

The oil drain plug is very low down in the gearbox housing indicating a splash type feed to the gears as it will also be the level indicator, and at my guess indicates that the volume is about 0.25 litre of oil. However it is inaccessible except in a major overhaul as this is and having found on unscrewing the plug that oil welled out of it, I arranged a full drain down and got some 1.5 litres of oil, which explains why there has been some oil seepage through to the motor itself. So past maintenance at some point has been over exuberant!!

Anyway to my question; is there a tribilogist here who can translate for me the handbook instruction to use BP Energol GR 425-EP? Google research shows 'GR' to be Industrial oils, with 'EP' being Extreme Pressure and I'm guessing the 425 is a measure of viscosity ? Apart from the difficulty in knowing where to go for what might be a rather specific oil type, my reading of the tables would indicate that 425 is pretty viscous which seems to be odd in something which really is not going to get all that warm as there is less than IKw of power going through the gearbox.

Can anyone help please.
Rob

Back