Oil finish for an idigbo front door step/threshold

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a hardwood front door and threshold. I'm fairly sure it's idigbo. The whole thing is painted, but inevitably the paint on the threshold is not doing well. So, I think I should strip it and oil it. The question is, what with? I've used osmo successfully on other outdoor stuff but the osmo website says its products are not suitable for idigbo because it, '...contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.' Any suggestions/views/experience to offer guys?

Personally, I can't see a good reason to use an oil for this purpose. I'd rub down and use a paint from Sadolin, e.g., their Extra Durable WoodStain, or a Sikkens product, e.g., Cetol Filter 7 plus. I have a couple of exterior doors, their weather bars, their frames and the threshold painted with the Sadolin product described above. About once every two or three years I sand down the threshold and recoat.

Of course, it may be your door and the frame are currently painted with something like a gloss white, black, blue, green, etc, and that could mean my suggestion above just to deal with the threshold is not helpful ... not unless you might think it worthwhile stripping the door and frame back and painting the lot with a new product. Slainte.

Personally, I can't see a good reason to use an oil for this purpose. I'd rub down and use a paint from Sadolin, e.g., their Extra Durable WoodStain, or a Sikkens product, e.g., Cetol Filter 7 plus. I have a couple of exterior doors, their weather bars, their frames and the threshold painted with the Sadolin product described above. About once every two or three years I sand down the threshold and recoat.

Of course, it may be your door and the frame are currently painted with something like a gloss white, black, blue, green, etc, and that could mean my suggestion above just to deal with the threshold is not helpful ... not unless you might think it worthwhile stripping the door and frame back and painting the lot with a new product. Slainte.

Thanks for this. Yes, the rest of the door and frame are painted in light blue gloss. However, I see Sadolin do a clear extra durable clearcoat Sadolin Extra Durable Clearcoat | Sadolin. This wouldn't look too bad, at least not between now and when the weather improves enough to strip the door.

If using oil it must have UV protection, Osmo and treatex both do uv protection oil.
Probably not the most durable for outside stuff though.

Ollie

Back