Oil finish for a floor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of using danish oil for a solid wood floor(Elm) in my house, would it be suitable? I have used it on my worktops and like the finish, but I don't walk on my worktops. I also have some BLO and some raw plus some teak oil, would any of these do? I should add that I've run out of cash, so would like confirmation that any of the mentioned will be OK, but if not I will have to stump up the cash for a more well know floor finish HWO perhaps. TIA.

Without a doubt the best finish for a hardwood floor is boiled linseed oil mixed 50% with genuine turpentine just rub and after one minute rub the surplus off. I did a floor like this 20 years ago and it just gets better and better with time.

Well you've just thrown a spanner in the works, I've just bought some Fiddes hard wax oil(being delivered today) and all set to use that, now I'm not so sure......

That`s me I usually think differently to everyone else...... You`ll be fine with the hard wax oil but better and cheaper with the above 50:50 mix ... You see companies are always inventing stuff we do not need .THAT IS HOW THEY MAKE PROFIT....The hard wax oil will sit on the surface and will still scratch in the heavy traffic areas .The above 50:50 mix is softer and sinks right into the wood and SLOWLY becomes very hard in a years time . You will look after the floor for the first year and then the novelty of a new floor has worn off by which time it is hard!! Floors for HUNDREDS of years have been finished with boiled linseed oil and NATURAL Turpentine , why change now it is time tested.Hard wax oil IS better in the short term AND that IS GOOD FOR THE property developer and for the person who has a new kitchen/floor every FIVE years.....hard wax oil looks very good for ten years and then because it is HARD it does not move with the wood and begins to flake off.....50:50 mix is SOFT AND MOVES WITH THE WOOD ,and if the floor is NEVER waxed it can QUICKLY have a new coat put on at any time to REVIVE it ....Need I say ANY more!!!!

Will The oil mix darken the Elm much? I would like it to stay as natural as possible, hence getting the HWO, I've had success with it before. If I use the BLO, the HWO won't go to waste as I have a 3.2m oak side table to make and I will use it on that anyway.

Back