Oil based, water resistant finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've had a request for a couple of fancy dog bowl holders for a friend's fancy new kitchen.

I was wondering if you were to make these, what would you finish them with? Remembering that they may spend some time covered in water bowl splashes and dog drool. Water resistance and durability are of top concern but I also want to retain the natural appearance/feel of the wood as much as possible.

In my head, I was thinking that polyurethane would be a good choice and I'd prefer to use an oil base one as I prefer the way this enhances the grain vs water based. I also like the way it subtly changes the way oak looks from what I call "raw" oak to a "finished" oak look...

Any suggestions? I'm rather inexperienced with finished items that are likely to see "heavy traffic" like dog claws and teeth as well as potentially lots of water.

Cheers guys,
Tom

Mark Raby used to swear by Treetex hard wax oil, he used it on vessels 3 coats I seem to remember,it certainly seemed to work when I saw him demonstrating.

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

I'll have a look into it and see what it's all about.

I highly recommend Osmo Polyx.
I used it on my kitchen worktops and it has stood up to everything the wife has thrown at it. (except for oven cleaner)
Not a single black water stain anywhere.

Thanks manglitter, I've been looking at the Polyx. I was leaning that way too. It's rather expensive though.

I find osmo to be remarkably durable. It has lasted very well on my maple floor which gets quite a beating really.
I think it does seem expensive but a little goes a long way.

Ollie

Back