Oh which lathe!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambalm

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently acquired an old lathe. It's a naerok lathe, belt driven. It came with a record power chuck set, a few extra chucks and an okayish set of chisels. I completely new to turning but know I'm going to live it forever! Now, the lathe is okay, it spins fine, it's a bit annoying changing the belt for different speeds but I'm getting my head around all the bits etc. I have so far only practiced on little things but tried a blank I made from a log today. On 800rpk it was fine but if I went up a speed the whole.lathe crashed about my worktop. I then bolted it down which was okay for the next setting but going up a speed causes it to really rattle!
In the mean time I've seen an Axminster ac370 craft down the road for £250 without any chucks etc just a faceplate.
So... Do I keep on with my old machine and stick to it or sell it and acquire the Axminster but be without the chucks etc?

Stick to your old one to start with, keep within its limits and practise, put the £250 you have saved towards a much better lathe after you have out grown this one. With bowl blanks and logs have a look at you Tube Lyle JAMIESON starting between centres and finding the balance point of a blank, saves a lot of rock and roll with out of balance blanks on a small lathe.

Good advice, I think your right. I'm looking to blame my tools before my technique. I'll stick to my old lathe and soldier on!

Thanks

When you do upgrade go for a good quality second hand lathe, much better value can be had and you often get all the extras that cost a fortune if you have to buy on top of a new lathe. Spend some of the spare cash on a good quality shapening system, a slow grinder and a jig so you can acheive fast repeatable grinds on all you chisels. Spend time turning not sharpening. Good luck.

Hi, welcome to the wood turning, it is indeed a lifelong love. I would highly recommend that you get yourself a book on woodturning techniques, as it sounds rather like you are trying to use a too high rpm. Yes, it is best to bolt a lathe down. Also agree that you should keep this lathe until you have really got a feel for what you enjoy turning, then get a lathe properly suited to what you want to do on it.
Cheers, Andy

Back