Oh well

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given some more wood this week. We don't often get offered pear this size - 38" across - so I leapt at it. Got to the house and of course, it had been sliced up and just left outside for a year or two. Huge cracks and I thought I had just wasted a trip.

However, always the optimist, I sliced a bit in half and bunged it on the lathe.

After a period of intense piercing and carving, I thought I'd do a nice simple bowl just to see how bad the wood was. I hadn't got too far in and the cracks seemed to have gone so I went ahead and hollowed it out. It wasn't until I applied some oil that I found I hadn't gone quite far enough - annoying. I didn't feel like rechucking it and turning out the crack although it appears to just be surface now, you never know for sure and it would undoubtedly be a fraction off centre too.

But its nice wood and if this bit is typical, I won't have to go much further to cut the cracks out which is surprising considering how it all looked on the outside. Enough wood for seven or eight bowls almost this big - a result.

If Eugene is still watching, those marks are just the rough wiped oil before its polished off - honest :lol:

Attachments

• 100_2914.jpg
    100_2914.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 947
  • 100_2915.jpg
    100_2915.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 946
  • 100_2913.jpg
    100_2913.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 946
sue denim":3rhmktbq said:
Is that two photos of the same bowl or are they a PEAR !

What size were the finished items?
Ho ho.

Same bowl. Its 240mm diameter. Can't use inches as you live deep in the Eurozone like us.

gus3049":29j0z1qo said:
sue denim":29j0z1qo said:

Ho ho.

Same bowl. Its 240mm diameter. Can't use inches as you live deep in the Eurozone like us.

"We don't often get offered pear this size - 38" across"

I take it that these are 38 metrique inches then Gordon? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spawney git (hammer) (hammer) That looks nice mate!

Jonzjob":3fs8xj4s said:
gus3049":3fs8xj4s said:
sue denim":3fs8xj4s said:

Ho ho.

"We don't often get offered pear this size - 38" across"

I take it that these are 38 metrique inches then Gordon? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spawney git (hammer) (hammer) That looks nice mate!
I was just trying to be polite. The forum after all, is based in the UK and certain posts have been criticised for using foreign terms so I used inches. As I know that Simon lives in Franceland, it seemed a reasonable and indeed, polite, thing to do - convert the dimensions to metric so he would know what I was talking about.

Can't upset the natives now can we? [-X

Thought you'd approve of the bowl - some of the wood shows :D

Thank you for the traduction from puces to metric. I am a little slow on the uptake and have to read each thread about three times before they make sense...........I put this down to the enormity of the european wine lake.

Yes Simon is the real name the other is just a sue denim.....

sue denim":18t22goo said:
Thank you for the traduction from puces to metric. I am a little slow on the uptake and have to read each thread about three times before they make sense...........I put this down to the enormity of the european wine lake.

Yes Simon is the real name the other is just a sue denim.....

This link will help you with the threads http://mdmetric.com/tech/tic1e.htm

The easiest way to handle the lake is to swim it rather than try and swallow it.

Jonzjob":18t22goo said:
Bowl, wood? It's the holes that I like :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wot 'oles? My bowl is intact or is it that you are referring to another thread entirely? You'll have to 'pitch' your comment more accurately.

Jonzjob":ufm484y8 said:
I wuz on abart the 'oles wot is goin t'appear. They always do except when they don't :mrgreen:

Wotz to believe Boysie? Come on pray tell :ho2

Can't Boysie and I have any secrets?

Glad to hear from you Eugene. You went a bit quiet there. All OK?

Doesn't stop me! Metric is purely for communicating with the French.

By the way, as far as woodwork is concerned, what useful purpose does the centimetre serve? When I am forced to use metric it's either metres or millimetres and I often find that the tendancy to use cms. can cause confusion. Eg. on my last visit to a timber merchant, he kept alternating between cm. and mm. Very inconsistent.

Cms. are alright for things like waist measurements, drapery and such like, but in woodwork they're utterly pointless.

Sawyer":162wpo2g said:
Cms. are alright for things like waist measurements, drapery and such like, but in woodwork they're utterly pointless.

Depends how accurate you want to be. If I want to get something 1.2mm thick, there is a point.

Its between the 1 and the 2 8)

gus3049":1re5puju said:
Sawyer":1re5puju said:

Depends how accurate you want to be. If I want to get something 1.2mm thick, there is a point.

I don't understand: if < a millimetre, we need a decimal point. But why use cms. and a decimal point? In such situations mm. are better, surely?

Sawyer":19tiz977 said:
gus3049":19tiz977 said:
Sawyer":19tiz977 said:

I don't understand: if < a millimetre, we need a decimal point. But why use cms. and a decimal point? In such situations mm. are better, surely?

Even worse of course, is that the French use commas instead of points!! They just like to confuse us furriners.

gus3049":wdi37i0z said:
Sawyer":wdi37i0z said:

AH! but if you wanted something 1.2mm thick here you would probably get a funny look?

You would need to request 1,2mm Virgule pas point :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

1/16" is easier anyway :mrgreen: I know what that is and if it's in wood 0,3mm is not going to make a lot of difference anyway :wink:

Jonzjob":v1dbl13l said:
gus3049":v1dbl13l said:
Sawyer":v1dbl13l said:

AH! but if you wanted something 1.2mm thick here you would probably get a funny look?

You would need to request 1,2mm Virgule pas point :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

1/16" is easier anyway :mrgreen: I know what that is and if it's in wood 0,3mm is not going to make a lot of difference anyway :wink:
Hmm, not used to working accurately then John :twisted: :roll:
Thats why I got my planes skimmed on the cylinder head machine. They are dead flat which means the wood is too.

Some people are so slapdash.

I tend to use good old fashioned "Impetric" eg. 3ft 8" and 5-6mm.

My shed is 12ft x 12ft x 2.5m to the highest point

If they did not want you to use Impetric, why put both on all of my tape measures eh?

PsyMan":3osjbaxy said:
I tend to use good old fashioned "Impetric" eg. 3ft 8" and 5-6mm.

My shed is 12ft x 12ft x 2.5m to the highest point

If they did not want you to use Impetric, why put both on all of my tape measures eh?
Quite right :D

Back