Oh no a WIP of a .......... Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been long time coming for me to build myself another router table thats actually of some decent quality and size.

Been meaning to do it for a year and buy a 2nd Trend T11 to put into it. However the recent purchase of the big Triton from a member on here has prompted me to make a start.

First of all the size. Finished size to be 830x1000x650 HxWxD.

The carcuss is 22mm Ply.

I have cut all to size and routed the housing joints and rebates.

rebates.jpg

Here is the carcass only dry assembled

dryAssembled.jpg

I have screw and glued but its looks the same as it did when dry assembled :roll:

Attachments

• rebates.jpg
    rebates.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,780
  • dryAssembled.jpg
    dryAssembled.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,754
Nope not really a norm inspired one.

There will be two layers of 12mm Solid laminate on top. A plate will be routed into the laminate and a hole cut through the lot to accept the router. Not sure if ill get that much chance to do anything for it this week.

I can't decide on what wood to make the face frame from. I was thinking beech but then quite liked a darker face frame and lighter fronts THEN i liked the idea of painting it. The top will be a blue colour like the darker blue on this website?

Doing a school project with the oldest we found some paint thats virtually the same colour as the plastic tops ill be using. So I have decided ill paint the carcass in this colour and the draw fronts and doors in black which is the colour of the plastic around the ends.

I set some time aside to do this. Filled in the ends of the ply after a quick sand and then looked at making a jig to cut the inserts in when I was asked to help the plumber we had at home as he needed access to loft and couldn't get in due to he knee (our loft is converted so its more a crawl space and the plumber is a friend of the family and retired). This ended up being a 4 hour helping hand :roll:

Got some done last week. Made a jig for the plate but after a test cut it made a hole to big, glad I did a test cut. I made another did the job.

The high pressure laminate cuts loverly with a blade for aluminum. Its heavy stuff so was glad I was cutting it on the TS.

top1.jpg

Routing out for the channel didn't go to well. The cutter that has been in the router for a few weeks and used many of times for some reason slipped out a bit and the clamp holding one of the guides on came lose. The channel fits perfect other then at the ends now :( . As it cut to deep at one end due to the slipping cutter it hit a screw and recked the cutters blades. I bet I was taking off a little to much of the strong plastic, about 4mm at a time.

top2.jpg

I turned to look at why the above table change wasn't working on the router. Not sure whats was missing I cut some Ali to size and screwed it on. This with a washer on the pin it worked great.

routerMod.jpg

After mounting the router to the plate and checking the fit I started to make the simple fence. This stuff drills nice and cuts great with a for metal blade in the jiggy but if you don't drill a pilot hole just a little smaller than the screw shank size you snap the head off.

table1.jpg

This is it for now. I needed the table usable quick. I plan to do more to it and upgrade so will update as I go.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 999
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 999
  • routerMod.jpg
    routerMod.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • table1.jpg
    table1.jpg