Oh Name That Machine, Where Art Thou?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrit":1os35pd1 said:
goes by the catchy name of "Haunching and Relishing Machine" and was specifically made for the sash trade......

Might I helpfully suggest that other UK Workshoppers don't type "haunching and relishing" into a Google Groups search. :shock:

Phil the book is Ships Joinery by S G Duckworth 1923 .
As for the haunching and relish thing , maybe the relish is the scroll on the bottom of the top sash ? I seem to remember my collage teacher saying "putting on the relesh " I E the fancy bits .

Scrit":38cpe7mz said:
The question is, what is a relish?

Well, I did a bit of searching and found the following

Relish \Rel"ish\, n. (Carp.)
The projection or shoulder at the side of, or around, a
tenon, on a tenoned piece. --Knight.

So now we all know it's nothing to do with anything hot and spicy!

MisterFish

Scrit":2uk0tzjz said:
The giant pencil sharpener is indeed a pit prop pointer:

Scrit

I'm a bit curious about this one. I used to work in the pit and I've never seen a pointed pit prop, and can't think what they would be used for. The whole point (or not :roll: ) of a pit prop is to support a load, so you want the ends to be as flat as possible. I was wandering if it was for putting points on fencing stakes?

It looked straight":2l020nem said:
Scrit":2l020nem said:

Scrit

I'm a bit curious about this one. I used to work in the pit and I've never seen a pointed pit prop, and can't think what they would be used for. The whole point (or not :roll: ) of a pit prop is to support a load, so you want the ends to be as flat as possible. I was wandering if it was for putting points on fencing stakes?

Assuming scrit didn't put the text on the picture himself, I'm guessing it really is as the manufacturer describes it.

ntm_70305a.jpg

Scrit wrote:

Scrit

I'm a bit curious about this one. I used to work in the pit and I've never seen a pointed pit prop, and can't think what they would be used for. The whole point (or not ) of a pit prop is to support a load, so you want the ends to be as flat as possible. I was wandering if it was for putting points on fencing stakes?

I also worked in deep mines and small mines (18th century way of winning coal) :x where you notched the timber for road supports and cannot fathom out why you want to put a point on a post.
Unless it was to take a crush, but then you would put pads under the post.

Maybe the "pit" is a bit misleading and the pits being referred to are just holes in the ground, rather than mines, so a "pit prop" shores up a hole in the ground, rather than a mine. Then you'd want them pointed so you could bash them into the ground at the bottom of the hole.

/wild speculation

Back