Oh My - I've been so badly undercharging for my work !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm actually shocked. :D

Particularly taken with the wine rack

08-11-20 15-16-10.jpg

(Edit - removed the large picture as I realized the text could be searched for)

Last edited:
we get these threads all the time.

what would you charge for the occasional table then?

Whatever I could get away with :D

Edit - Ok, that was the flippant answer. The more thoughtful answer is it'd never occur to me to try and sell something like that, I'd never think there was a market for it, and I wouldn't believe enough people would buy it to make it a viable. That there just goes to show why I work for someone else and how I have no idea about markets !

Last edited:
Is it me or do they just look like some small bits of 2x2 glued together.? VERY expensive dolls house furniture maybe.....

Is it me or do they just look like some small bits of 2x2 glued together.? VERY expensive dolls house furniture maybe.....
The first one pictured is 300mm (l) x 300mm (w) x 450mm (h)
Bit of a stretch calling that a table.

Just because someone asks a price doesn't mean they get any sales. But it does set where they place themselves in the market.

When I first saw the page I thought for a second that they were children's building blocks.

There does seem to be a market based on making things that look different.
Trouble is, there are good reasons why we don't use solid blocks of wood as tables. They may look intriguing when seen on a smartphone screen. But only when the things have been delivered will their new owners discover that they are too heavy to move, prone to distortion over time, wasteful of material, too small to be useful and just plain ugly!

so you have paid £200 for a small table and like the one in the first pic above it gets a bloody great split! I thinks I would be wanting a refund.

Can you call it solid wood when it’s got a split in it? And even more amazing is that that's the one he is using to advertise his wares.

You laugh. I had some offcuts of chunky oak beams that I was using as door stops. I had drilled in and fitted hemp rope handles (basically a knot in a recess) A couple of years ago my wife had a bunch of people from her RHS horticultural course come round for a BBQ, complete with husbands (the course was all women apart from one house husband). Some one admired the door stops and she sold 14 to the group at £40 each.

Those are superb if the maker filled the cracks with resin I think he could up the prices another £500 at least! They would still be bought, used until it was realised how impractical they are and then discarded like so many other things today.

I often wonder about occasional tables - what are they when they are not busy being a table? If they are a table all the time, why not just call them a table. I don't use my car all the time, but I don't call it an occasional car.

(I have similar thoughts about inflatable boats, which don't of course exist. When they are deflated they are not a boat, when they are inflated they are no longer inflatable. What they really are is a deflatable boat.)

No sure what the issue here is.

You wouldn't buy it perhaps, but either someone is buying or the maker doesn't care that nobody is buying.

Why is it a problem?

The only odd thing is that they're also sold by a company that sells wood and veneers - presumably to people who make stuff from wood.

Latest posts

Back