Oh Dear.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":31r2g90l said:
Frankly I'd be more impressed if she concentrated on better medical care and stopped worrying about calling me 'Dear!'

To true Roy, I'm getting paranoid about all this PC stuff, when I pick up the phone I have started wondering if there's anything I can say which won't be mis-interprepted by the person at the other end :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankly I suspect nurses use different techniques.
I was in hospital with two abdominal drains and a catheter in me, nurse comes down the ward, looks at me, rubs her hands together, grins evilly and says, 'give us a flash!'
Now I doubt that she would have used that technique on the Archbishop of Wales, so I suspect that had learned how to put people at their ease by various methods.
In my case she got it dead right. I burst out laughing and told her that was the best offer I had had for months!

Roy.

I'm afraid that my reaction to PC is to wind the person up. (Does it show?) :twisted:

Roy.

My sense of humour has got me thumped a couple of times, by nurses. One was when I had a carpel tummel operation. The nurse was fifnshing doing the dressing and I asked if I would be able to play the piano when it came off. She told me that of course I would. You can guess my answer and she thumped me! I still can't play the dammed thing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The other time was to do with an enema :shock:

I used to know lots of paramaniacs---- sorry paramedics and nurses,
the humor started at one level and went downhill from there :lol: :lol:

Losos":2u0bb9lv said:
I'm getting paranoid about all this PC stuff, when I pick up the phone I have started wondering if there's anything I can say which won't be mis-interprepted by the person at the other end :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too, I get so nervous I just end up breathing heavily down the Phone; doesn't go down too well most times.

:lol:

Oh contraire!!

She gave the the 'thing' and said "you know what to do with this!". I said OK.

20 mins later she asked for an action report. Reply "nowt". another 15 mins the same ask, same answer and on the 3rd ask I said "for all the good it's doing I may just as well stuffed it up me bum!!"

Her reaction was panic when she asked "oh gawd! You haven't swallowed it have you?" At which point I burst out laughing and confessed that I hadn't. That's when I got the thump!

Good fun, but it can lead to bruises :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have to have regular injections these days, done at my local doctors'. When it all started I was not too well, and had a propensity to pass out occasionally (caused by the medical problem, I hasten to add).

The surgery is in what used to be a Presbyterian theological college, and it's a really nice, if slightly odd, arts+crafts building. Some of the oak carving and other decoration is gorgeous (vines twined around oak columns, for example). It's evident that the original benefactors were really loaded: no expense was spared, evidently.

Anyway, I was on a tilt-back chair in the treatment room: Wanting to take my mind off blood samples ("that's nearly a whole armful," etc.), I was considering the rather nice oak paneling on the opposite wall (there's loads of it, all beautifully done, with dowels on the tenons, etc.). There was a commotion on the far side of the room, which I ignored, until two of the nurses rushed over, grabbed me and shook me. "Are you OK? We saw you staring into space and thought you were fainting."

E.

I was at the dentists, laid back helpless in the chair.
My face was ashen, drops of sweat beaded on my forehead.
My knuckles were white as I gripped the armrest of the chair.
The only sound was the shallow breaths I was still able to take through gritted teeth and aching jaws.

The nurse said in what she though was a reassuring tone: "Don't worry, it's only a little prick with a needle."

"Yes, Nurse" I managed to gasp. "But what's he planning on doing with it?"

I'll get my coat.

I remember when I was in the Hospital, flat on my back, and unable to move, except to roll (Very slowly) onto my side.
My feet were exposed, and were freezing. Assuming, (wrongly) that the nurse would know what my ailment was, I asked her to put my socks on for me. Her reply?

'What did your last slave die of?'

Kind of shook my faith in nurses, but for sure I wouldn't have minded if she'd added a 'dear' on the end. :(

Latest posts

Back