Oh Dear!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbaker42

Established Member
Reaction score
Today had started so well with the first dry day for ages and more promised, then a good result for the Welsh in the rugby things couldn't get much better.

Some time ago I started a thread about drying some sycamore I had been given and thought that today would be a good time to try some out. I decided I would give a large end grain bowl a try and cut a nice 11" diameter 7" thick blank and mounted it on my lathe. I'm not that fond of cutting end grain but with frequent sharpening my half inch bowl gouge was making good progress and I was being very careful keeping a check on the depth each time I stopped to sharpen the gouge.

Now comes the end of the story and I'm pretty sure the expression I am searching for begins with an s and ends with a t. With the depth at about 6" and the wall just under 1" thick the time had come for a quick run over with a sheer scraper, all of a sudden the bottom of course disappeared.

I'll go back later and take a photo for members to laugh at and hopefully follow it up with a successful job of fitting a nice plug in the bottom and finishing the bowl off but at the moment I've gone off wood turning.

Chris

Come on man get over it , Its a piece of wood

We all make errors from time to time its how we learn

I wont laugh ( Maybe a chuckle ) :mrgreen:

Get back on the lathe , you will look back and laugh yourself soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh dear indeed, it seems you took me seriously. I stopped taking myself seriously many years ago and yes its all to do with learning. Yesterdays lesson - measure once, measure twice and oh pipper there's a whole in my bucket.

Bin there, done that mate and perhapse that's where I was going wrong? I always thought it was measure once, cut twice :? :?

I did a segmented disk for the centre of the lazy susan I'm making. Turned it to round and found it was 1/4" too small for the dammed hole! I said "golly, gosh"at least 3 times :oops: It now has a plain disk in there just waiting to be turned down to level. Depending on the finish I may just put some perfling round it too?

Back