Oh dear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Logosol M something or other, it's raining so I'm not going out to look.

I use a Stihl 880 with a 36" bar on it and with the bed extension I can mill 11m long. The timber gets stacked onto the larch bed with the timber trucks crane, and I can then move it onto the mill by hand.

I also have the attachment to bolt the track onto the log, which is handy for very large stems up to 6' in diameter. The Alsakan mill attachment is very good for boards and cuts very accurately if the first cut is flat.
Wow that's a beast of a chainsaw and some serious setup you have. I've got a few 12"-15" english elm boughs that I need milling but I've only got a Stihl 230 so I expect it would be easier to take them to a local mill for processing.

Mike, if you are likely to have access to more timber then I would really consider the Hyundai saw with a cheap mill frame from an auction site. My set up cost little more than £200 and I use any straight board screwed to the log to get a first cut. All I need now is more timber 😄

@mikej460 You could probably do it with an Alaskan mill and that smaller saw. I sometimes use my tiddler saw and a 14" bar for re-sawing.

I bought the larger mill because I was milling for the house repairs and have milled something like 70 tonnes on it so far, so it has paid for itself many times over.

I'm a bit fussy with milling for timber repairs and I tried to get a mill to do it for me, but they struggled, as they were set up for automation and had to manually mill the stuff, which slowed them down.

If you look at a commercial mill set up, they are very specific about what they take and like to mill at speed to cover their considerable costs.

I have one of these too....

So my tree surgeon friend stopped by this morning to let me know his boys would be working at one of our other schools nearby (we have 10 schools within our academy) tomorrow to remove a tree (can't recall the species) then coming to me to remove some deadwood from an oak, he said I can look through the logs and take what I want 😁😁😁😁 he then handed me something from the passenger side of his van
20220413_200808.jpg
20220413_200817.jpg
20220413_200832.jpg
20220413_200846.jpg

I know what it is but can any of you ID the wood? It's a piece from one of the first trees he cut as an independant tree surgeon, as you can see, there is a lot of punky stuff on the outside, shame it's too long to fit on my lathe as it is, I'd love to just clean it up and hollow out a bowl then leave it, what would you guys do with it?

So my tree surgeon friend stopped by this morning to let me know his boys would be working at one of our other schools nearby (we have 10 schools within our academy) tomorrow to remove a tree (can't recall the species) then coming to me to remove some deadwood from an oak, he said I can look through the logs and take what I want 😁😁😁😁 he then handed me something from the passenger side of his van
View attachment 133597View attachment 133598View attachment 133599View attachment 133600

I know what it is but can any of you ID the wood? It's a piece from one of the first trees he cut as an independant tree surgeon, as you can see, there is a lot of punky stuff on the outside, shame it's too long to fit on my lathe as it is, I'd love to just clean it up and hollow out a bowl then leave it, what would you guys do with it?
Hornbeam?

@mikej460 You could probably do it with an Alaskan mill and that smaller saw. I sometimes use my tiddler saw and a 14" bar for re-sawing.

I bought the larger mill because I was milling for the house repairs and have milled something like 70 tonnes on it so far, so it has paid for itself many times over.

I'm a bit fussy with milling for timber repairs and I tried to get a mill to do it for me, but they struggled, as they were set up for automation and had to manually mill the stuff, which slowed them down.

If you look at a commercial mill set up, they are very specific about what they take and like to mill at speed to cover their considerable costs.

I have one of these too....

Thanks Adam, do I need a special ripping chain or will my normal one work?

Mike

View attachment 133597View attachment 133598View attachment 133599View attachment 133600

I would guess oak. See if there are rays visible when you clean it up.

If it is too wide to spin, you could try a hand carved bowl perhaps?

By the rings I would say either box or holly.

Thanks Adam, do I need a special ripping chain or will my normal one work?

Mike
You'd need a ripping chain, but you could also re-file a normal chain to 90º to make it rip. If you use a normal chain you end up clogging the chip chute with spaghetti like strands of wood. Ideally you need to aim for square chips coming out of the saw which is optimum.

Back