Offset Cabinet Hinge for a Kitchen Cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysLearning

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a hinge for a problem kitchen wall cupboard. The problem is the previous owners fitted the cupboard flush into a corner then tiled the wall.
Cupboard door.jpg
So, 500mm wide cupboard carcass with a 496mm wide door, 18mm thick. It looks like the existing hinges have been cranked as far over as possible, but when it swings open, it catches on the tiles at say 60 deg of opening. The tiles stop 20mm short of the cabinet to the door sits in the recess. The tiles are 8mm thick.

I had thought about packing out the hinge from the carcass by 6mm, but then it would catch on a shelf and obviously form a 6mm lip at the edge of the cupboard. Trimming down the door is not an option since it's one of those vinyl wrapped ones. Other option is to pack the hinge and have a matching door made (if possible)

But, before I go down that route, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of hinge I could simply swap out that would allow the door to be opened fully by offsetting it by 10mm say.

Attachments

• Cupboard door.jpg
    Cupboard door.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 90
Half overlay hinges could work.
You might have to reduce door width accordingly.

Sometimes you can get away with moving the other doors laterally, so the corner one fits.
Not always, though.

dzj":34y6t07u said:
Sometimes you can get away with moving the other doors laterally, so the corner one fits.
Not always, though.

The door is up against a built in shelf which I might be able to trim if I can work out how to restore the edge afterwards. That's a collateral problem compared with the edge of the door hitting those blasted tiles.

All good food for thought.

Look for a hinge made for a thicker door, they are available for 25mm 40mm etc. ie door pluss the tile that should then throw the door over the right amount.

Back