Offline jigsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have this jigsaw that veers off line.

The saw is a Challenge MJ5018 710w which I bought from Wicks. If I run the saw down a straight edge, (straight edge to the right), as I am sawing, the blade tends to gradually cut to the left, more & more with each stroke. Thats with the sole held tight to the straight edge, which means the blade is flexing. I have tried fitting a shorter blade, but to no avail.

Is there anyone out there who has any idea of what is going on, and how to rectify the problem?
Please help. I don't want to have to pay out for another jigsaw as well as a table saw.
Many thanks, - Gary.

One thing that comes to mind. Has the saw got a supporting roller at the back of the blade?
If it has, just check that this is not twisted out of line, thereby pushing the blade over to the left. Depending on what the support arm is made from, you may be able to tweak it back with a pair of pliers.
:cry: Beware though if it's made of cast aluminium - cos it will easily snap off.
Other than that all I can do is recommend a Makita. Bit pricey but a gem of a tool to work with.

frank":230moc93 said:
gary are you using cheap or thin blades that bend as you cut ??

I've got to say, that was my first reaction when I saw this thread too, but I've got a quite unreasonable predisposition against jigsaws so I held my counsel. I know they've got their place in the workshop - as I said, my predisposition is unreasonable.

With scrollsaws, you find that cheaper blades are stamped rather than milled and this can lead to a bias. I'm guessing that something similar might be happening with your jigsaw, Gary.

I've also found that the propensity to error increases with the thickness of the material being cut.

Gill

Gary, it could be that while trying to keep the jigsaw up tight to the straightedge, you are leaning/pushing on it too hard, and in doing so you are bending the blade and making go to the left.

Regards

Woody

Hi people,

Just letting you all know that I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

I opened up the offending jigsaw, saw nothing unusual, closed it up, hey presto, it works just fine. I can only think that there was something lodged inside sending it askew.

Game over. Thank you all very much. - Gary.

Back