Office worktop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harquil

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

I’ve been asked by a friend to build a office worktop bench with a couple of shelves and a overhead shelf. I’ll include a picture below.

My question is rigidity of the worktop and the shelf above. Both are just over 2 meters long and I’m worried about bowing over time.

We haven’t discussed materials and he hasn’t decided yet if he wants to paint white or varnished. My initial thought were gluing two bits of mdf together with hardwood looking for strength, that was my mate can paint it white. Or go all out and have a solid wood worktop with white mdf shelves for the rest. Or use birch ply for everything and varnish.
Would appreciate any ideas and thoughts.
I only do woodworking as a hobby but want more experience.
Ta

Attachments

• B2E1DAC7-F7E3-4641-AEF9-213140D8D76E.jpeg
    B2E1DAC7-F7E3-4641-AEF9-213140D8D76E.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 57
My first thought was "He'll need at least a 'leg' at the left hand end"

My second was "That is a prime candidate for a kitchen work top as the main 'desk' "

The desk I'm working at currently is a 28mm thick worktop with a span of 1.9m fully supported at both ends and also has three monitors + a PC on it with no 'sag' and in use for 6+ years. Personally, I would use a 40mm thick worktop and support the left hand end with a panel rather than a leg.

+1 for the kitchen worktop. Nice durable surface you wont need to paint or varnish. That said 2m is a long span so I would be giving some thought to support.
Regards
John

I sometimes use cheap flush doors for thick shelving like this.You can actually cut into them exposing the 'eggbox' interior as long as you glue in a batten to support the two outer leaves. Finishing can be anything you like so its a Marmite solution. That outer corner will need support no matter what material you use.

You could use some metal box section as support underneath. I say that instead of a skirt/apron as they can be annoying to get your thighs under . I'd also support with something on the left

Last edited:
If you want that left corner like that, you’ll need to make a chunky torsion box to stop it wiggling around, or add a bracket.

single thickness board will need edges front and back for a shelf or a lot of supports.

Back