Offcuts and what to do with them

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very much a sufferer of offcutit is, however I recently had a clear out and set myself a yardstick of “if it will not provide 4 sides of a box, say 200 x 150 mm“ then into the wood burner pile and winter is coming.

I only keep certain species that I know are rare such as dead straight grained quartersawn douglas fir, mahogany, cherry e.t.c and anything with figuring never gets thrown away.

I find that dice are popular at car boot sales, for playing Outdoors yahtee. These are easily made from 4" Oak posts. I made 6" one as a door stop.

Attachments

• PXL_20220416_150747271.jpg
    PXL_20220416_150747271.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220416_153240732.jpg
    PXL_20220416_153240732.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220518_123832478.jpg
    PXL_20220518_123832478.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 0
I sometimes use offcuts to make chopping boards but this time I thought I might glue them up for turning a bowl. The problem with doing this is after only a short while you can feel the difference between each strip as they all move at different rates so the glue lines are obvious to the touch. It's not a bad problem because I think it's still interesting to look at. There is some Mahogany, Sapele, Cherry, Ebony, Oak, Ash and Sycamore. It's 235x70mm.

Gary

Attachments

• P1070518.jpg
    P1070518.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03770.JPG
    DSC03770.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 0
I sometimes use offcuts to make chopping boards but this time I thought I might glue them up for turning a bowl. The problem with doing this is after only a short while you can feel the difference between each strip as they all move at different rates so the glue lines are obvious to the touch. It's not a bad problem because I think it's still interesting to look at. There is some Mahogany, Sapele, Cherry, Ebony, Oak, Ash and Sycamore. It's 235x70mm.

Gary
They do look good from the inside. And I'm loving the ebony.

Clearing my grandmother's attic, many years ago, we found three boxes, all neatly labelled:
"Cups without handles, Guide Camp 1927"
"Cup Handles, Guide Camp 1928"
"Pieces of String, Too Short to be of Any Further Use"
The string thing sounds suspiciously like Thurber's Aunt.

[Edit] Turns out I'm wrong. The internet reckons it was a relative of Donald Hall, of whom I've never heard. I think James Thurber's Aunt might have been the person who though have an empty lamp socket would cause all the electrity to leak away.[/Edit]

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a hoarder and don't like waste - I can't bear to throw away offcuts, and as a result my workshop is getting fuller and fuller. I keep even quite small pieces - mostly cherry, maple and walnut.

Anybody got any ideas what to do / make with them? What do others do with their offcuts?

thanks, Andy
I Usually end up waist deep in offcuts as I never seem to know what to do with them. For some reason they seem to gravitate to the bandsaw area.

Back