Off to Yandles on Saturday - gonna buy me a plane!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taffy Turner

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as it says in the title really!

Up until now, I have only owned 2 planes - a no. 4 smoother which cost me £20 from Craft Supplies, and a little Record Block plane, which cost me £35 from B+Q :oops: (I know - but please bear with me!).

Now, both of these planes were pretty poor when purchased, but by diligently following the advice on this forum, I have now turned them into tools which are actually quite fun to use, and perform well enough for my needs. In tuning them up, I have learned quite a lot, and actually enjoy using them now. Also, as the irons in both appear to be made from the softest steel in the world, I get plenty of sharpening practice as well!

As I am off to Yandles on Saturday, I am EXTREMELY tempted to stop by the Brimarc stand and invest my hard earned cash in a Veritas Low Angle Jack plane, which has been calling me from the catalogue for some time now. :twisted:

Does this seem a sensible purchase, or would I be better off with a different plane. The plane will be used for more or less everything that my other two cheap planes can't manage. Also, is it worth me purchasing the optional high - angle blade at the same time?

All advice gratefully received.

PS - is this a slippery slope I see before me? :?

Regards

Gary

TT
It makes tremenous sense-the bevel up planes are the future! The Jack is a superb plane (as I'm sure Alf will agree :wink: ). Do get the High angle blade at the same time (I think I paid about £8 for mine), it is very handy for difficult timbers.
You won't go far wrong there. Mind you, those Cliftons are very nice too! :shock:
Enjoy
Philly :D

Taffy Turner":16l2tnv4 said:
As I am off to Yandles on Saturday,
Lucky swine.

I am EXTREMELY tempted to stop by the Brimarc stand
Say "Hi" to Martin then, even if he's wearing a skirt, er, Utilikilt... :-s

and invest my hard earned cash in a Veritas Low Angle Jack plane, which has been calling me from the catalogue for some time now. :twisted:
Sounds good to me.

Does this seem a sensible purchase, or would I be better off with a different plane. The plane will be used for more or less everything that my other two cheap planes can't manage.
Sensible purchase?! Are you kidding?!!! #-o Don't walk - RUN and get it.

Also, is it worth me purchasing the optional high - angle blade at the same time?
YES

PS - is this a slippery slope I see before me? :?
Of course not. You can stop any time you like... :^o :wink:

Cheers, Alf

PS - is this a slippery slope I see before me?

Gary, if you think you can see it, then you are already up to your whatsit in it! :D

And yes to the LV LA Jack - probably the best all round plane on the market at present.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Philly":3mp8acfl said:
bevel up planes are the future!
OMG, I was sure that Derek said that! Then I read the rest of the thread and thought everyone must be mistaken. We'd better watch out or we'll be speaking with an Australian accent before long. :wink:
Frank

You notice I called it "bevel up" instead of "low angle"-see, finger on the pulse, me! :lol:
Need to stop lurking on other forums......... :lol:
Phillydownunder :wink:

You notice I called it "bevel up" instead of "low angle"-see, finger on the pulse, me!

Hi Philly

Yes I did :D . I think you must have read some of my posts elsewhere. I have been after Rob to change the name from Low Angle (LA) to Bevel Up (BU) planes. But he resists - perhaps he thinks it is Aussie slang for something antisocial :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

"Hi"? How guarded! Ho ho for the inverted commas.

We have put a few extra planes in the van. Mind you we weren't short.

Anyone with a special request please PM me and I will reserve stock for inspection at the show.

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys (and galls!).

A LV LA Jack it's gonna be then. \:D/

Derek - who do you fancy to win the Ashes series this summer?

Regards

Gary

You notice I called it "bevel up" instead of "low angle"-see, finger on the pulse, me!

Hi Philly

Yes I did :D . I think you must have read some of my posts elsewhere. I have been after Rob to change the name from Low Angle (LA) to Bevel Up (BU) planes. But he resists - perhaps he thinks it is Aussie slang for something antisocial :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Isn't Bevel-up here bevel-down where you are? :lol:

Sorry - I know that kind of joke's getting tired.... [-X

Internally - we do say bevel-up. For the catalog - we have to stick with using what the majority of people understand, or can relate to... which isn't to say we won't keep trying to change it...

A good example is the use of the word "linish"... it's been a project of our ours to bring it back into common usage (been at least a decade now)...

Cheers -

Rob

Philly":3ek1w5vj said:
Rob
Linish? is that short for "linseed oil finish"?? :lol: :lol:
I'll get me coat....
Hand-Rubbed-Philly :D

It's a colloquialism meaning a hybrid of lapping/finishing.. sort of to bring to a final dimension by sanding or lapping (not surface grinding)...

I believe it originated in the Sheffield area...

Cheers -

Rob

Derek - who do you fancy to win the Ashes series this summer?

Gary

I assume that is a rhetorical question? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards from the home of the Ashes

Derek

Yes - I suppose it was a bit of a pointless question really - as if an Aussie would ever NOT fancy his team to beat, annihilate, humiliate and generally stomp all over an English team?? #-o

The sad thing is - I have to agree with you. England are much improved, but not enough that they will give your boys a serious fright. Hopefully we will at least be competing this time! 8-[

Back