Off take thread to chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosshogg

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where/how I can fit a Picador chuck, which is 12/" B.S.F. threaded, onto the take off of my Dewalt radial arm saw, which has an 8mm thread. Both are right hand female threads?...bosshogg :)

I suspect your chuck is 1/2 x 20 UNF - most are

You need an adaptor which I suspect will be very difficult to find as M8 is not a standard for chucks (3/8 x 24 UNF is the smaller standard)
I'd go to a local engineering jobbing shop and see if they can make you one for a reasonable price. It is not a difficult turning job but it does need to be accurate as any errors will lead to wobble/runout

Good Luck

Bob

Hi Bob, I think you are right re the UNF thread, as I looked at it I wondered if BSF was right. The chuck is part of a Picador shaft arrangement, sold for lapidary saw one end and chuck t'other, come to think of it it might be worth scraping using the already threaded shaft and having it threaded to the take off threads...cheers...bosshogg :)

It is often more difficult to pick up alignment on a part made item than make a new one from scratch. I'd talk to whoever is going to do the job and discuss the method first.

Bob

Back