Off my nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance but i am currently off my nut on pain relief and about 3 bottles of port.

So, since Xmas day I've been suffering with a broken tooth (popcorn is the devils food) a couple days after this the pain started so I began taking a mix of ibuprofen and paracetamol, ive never been registered with a dentist as I've been terrible at looking after my dental health, the last few weeks have been pure hell, 111 have done their best at giving me local dentists to call but they all day the same thing, "we are not taking on new NHS patients but your welcome to book an emergency appointment, thesenare mostly at the £90 mark just to sit sit in the chair and as I only work part time I can't afford the costs, the last few weeks I've noticed the pain killers become less effective, last week I went to A&E as the pain was so bad, the triage nurse sent me home with a flea in my ear because they don't have a dental department and I was effectively wasting their time, since then the ibuprofen and paracetamol has just about done its job and allowed me to go to work and complete my job without too much issue, yesterday I woke up surprised to find that the nagging pain in my tooth, cheekbone, ear and eye had stopped, I went to work and had a nice relaxed day for the first time in months, however that soon changed, I finish work at 12, a out 12.30 I was makingyself something to eat and was literally floored by what I can only describe as a lightning strike to the nerve of the broken tooth, omg it hurt like nothing I've experienced before (and I've had a finger literally ripped off) this bece a random occurrence that would hit and run without notice until around 8pm this evening, it started with several single hits over a 3 hour period from 7pm, then around 7:30 I got a hit that left me feeling like all my teeth had been connected to a mains power supply, this had me on my knees literally screaming into the cushions of the sofa and me pootlr partner in tears calling 111, the pain killers are not working so in a last ditch attempt to numb the pain I've done something I know I shouldn't, I've downed an entire bottle of Port, normally o would consider this a sacrilege as it was a very good and expensive bottle but needs must, so, here I am, 3 sheets to the wind, an entire bottle of very expensive port downed like an alcoholic on top of the ibuprofen and paracetamol, my stomach and throat are very sore from all the screaming I've done but I'm feeling very light and fluffy from the bottle of port and I'm not feeling any pain, downside is that my amazing girlfriend is now refusing to sleep because she is worried I'm going to be sick and choke from drinking so much. For reference, I drink so rarely that I have bottles of port that are a decade old.

I'm sorry for the "rant" but I'm absolutely cheesed and have non boundaries, if we in person I'd probably try to kiss you afyerb you read this 💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋

Sounds like an abyss or at least an infection - sleep it off if possible and take the offer of the emergency appointment- it will come and go but gets worse every time. From experience I speak - had a double abyss one in each wisdom tooth and never in my life experienced pain like it and haven’t since -even eventually having the offending teeth removed was preferable to that pain returning-like being hit by an express train over and over -and like yourself I hate all dentists and rarely go but enough was enough had to get rid of the pain . So even if you have to pay private you will be pain free and you will be sorted . Good luck and hope your suffering ends soon..

We get quite a few visitors who come on holiday with a view to getting their dental work done at the same time - half price or less when compared to the UK extortion. Obviously not a fix right now, but if you are faced with an outrageous amount of remedial work, it might be something to consider.

have recomended to a few people, it's cheaper to have a holiday in Crete and get ur teeth sorted here...
I've just had a gold crown fall out with a bit more of the tooth broken...
A white filling (the sort cured by Ultra Violet light).was less than €45.....
All the latest equipment and a nice person to boot...all dentists here speak great English....
My daughter has just booked her new appointment....the cost savings will cover her air fair....

Have you checked out nhs emergency dental hospitals?
we have one nearby , they once did me a root canal, saturday morning, for the price of a check up.
i’d been to the dentist the day before with extreme pain. Dentist said he couldnt find anything. Next day i was ready for knocking myself out (think oak door slamming on head). Went to emergency clinic and dentist there asked me whether it was David Blunkett or Stevie Wonder i’d seen the day before:LOL::LOL:

Blimey, I wish I could write so clearly after 1 glass of port never mind 3 bottles 🤪

Have you tried Solpadol, the soluble one sorts me out were aspirin and paracetamol don’t touch me.

It’s probably not your way, it’s certainly not mine but have you tried being pushy and not taking no for an answer, or getting someone to do it for you. I think getting past the receptionist is the hardest part. I remember being in a similar situation and couldn’t get an appointment for weeks, my boss took one look at me, I told her what was wrong, she got on the phone and I had an appointment in 2 days!

I hope you manage to get it sorted quickly 🤞

I also thought some A&Es had a dental add on so have a search?
But how are you going to resolve it without a dentist, cost or not?
Good luck!

It won't get better by itself.

Strikes me that the cost of not fixing it including various port and medication and likelihood of being unable to work is much more than the cost of fixing it.

If there is a dental school nearby, I remember the Manchester one from years ago, they might help. You will be treated by a student but under very close supervision.

If not, sounds like it's a private appointment. If you have an infection they might prescribe strong antibiotics and send you away for a few days while the inflammation goes down then they will do the engineering bit.

As a short term painkiller codeine and paracetamol tablets, called paracodeine or similar, no prescription needed but kept behind the counter at pharmacies. People like Boots do own brand, you don't need the fancy packets. Max 4 days though, codeine can be damaging long term.

When it's done, write to your MP about the lack of NHS dentists - no point being concerned about it without trying to change things.

Thanks guys 💖💖💖
I pretty much passed out for a couple of hours from the alcohol, my g/f woke me up as 111 told her to take me to a different A&E, we went and were told they could only give me stronger pain relief as they don't have a dentist on site so we came home and I passed out on the sofa, the other half was straight back to calling 111 and last thing I remember is that she was waiting for a call back. At the minute I've been awake for about half hour and have taken the codeine along with some ibuprofen and waiting for the hammer in my head to stop

Stig I know what you are going through in regards to the pain and i do hope you get it sorted asap, please be aware that long term use of paracetamol/codiene etc will cause its own problems as will ibuprofen ,both can damage your liver and kidneys and possibly give you stomach ulcers. Not what you want to hear i know but take a emergency appointment now and worry about the cost later . PM me your details and i will lend you the cash to get it sorted if that will help, don't suffer in silence or try to grin and bare it .

Some excellent advice from all above , I have multiple missing teeth because it’s cheaper to have a tooth pulled out than say a root canal treatment as that can’t garantee the treatment will work and then they have to extract it anyway and charge you again - it’s a tough call as I have to look after my remaining teeth. I feel your pain but you have to get it treated as like others have said you will have to take time off work, paying for medication +you won’t be yourself until it’s sorted . I wouldn’t recommend alcohol with the Meds your taking but using salt water to help with the infection ( don’t swallow) just gargle-tastes like rubbish but if it’s an abyss it can burst in your gum and trust me that is not what you want to experience. Extra good look 👍👍👍

Thanks guys, I'm aware of the effects of long term medication use, it's played on my mind a lot, the cost is a secondary issue at the minute, the difficulty is finding a dentist that can fit me in, I've registered with one local surgery but they can't fit me in for a few weeks unless they have a cencellation, swmbo is on the case now that she knows how bad it is, I'm sure I'll get an appointment somewhere soon, even if I have to go bribe a vet to do it 🤪

@MARK.B. that's an incredibly generous offer and I can't say thankyou enough but I will find the money.

Toothache is not nice. I have rubbish gums which have given me trouble over the years, worst I had was earlier this year.

I woke up new years eve with a bit of toothache which got worse as the day went on, by the evening it was agony. Pain killers didn't seem to help, I got some gel from the chemist which numbed the gum, that worked initially but then stopped. The pain lasted 3 days, didn't really get any sleep and felt shocking. I already had a dentist appointment booked for a week later so hung on for that but then my son tested positive for covid the evening before so I had to put off the dentist visit for another 2 weeks. Ended up having 5 teeth out but feel better now than I have in years, didn't realise how much my dodgy teeth were affecting my well being.

Tooth ache is horrendous, they hurt when they are first growing and are a liability. Really sorry to hear your predicament and you cannot find an NHS dentist, this is just the state of the nation unfortunately and we had to go on a scheme that was half NHS and half private plus a fifty mile round trip.

How many people are on these forums, how many happily spend £3 plus a day on a takeaway coffee and enjoy these forums then think for many of us what is a pound these days, so if we all threw a pound in a pot I bet we could reach £90 easily and do something nice for a fellow forum member, none of us would miss a quid.

Stig mate,

Get some clove oil from the chemist and dab some on the tooth.

Tastes awful but will get rid of the pain. Take note that it will not mean the problem has gone away and you will still need treatment.

Gary

If there is a dental school nearby, I remember the Manchester one from years ago, they might help. You will be treated by a student but under very close supervision.

sadly it's been privatised, they used to work on homeless peoples teeth for free, I used to go there and the students were great, I needed to have serious work done from a really bad cycling accident as a child, so went there for a good 4 years, it's the manchester royal dental hospital, I sometimes still have nightmares hearing the sounds of grown men screaming and drills in the corridor, it also looked like a lunatic asylum in parts, I really enjoyed the building, great atmosphere.

Back