Off-Cuts Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Completed a little project last week-a box made from off cuts from the project I'm currently working on. The parts were too small to be really useful, but too big to throw out, and the timber ( spalted ripple sycamore) is so lovely. Have a look....
2005_0410krenov0009.jpg

It really came out nice!
The corner were jointed with through dovetails (on the LittleRat) and the box was gently curved with a spokeshave and scrapers. I also inlaid some mother of pearl dots on the side corners.
Have a look on my website for step-by-step pics
http://www.philsville.co.uk/offcut_box.htm

Cheers
Philly :D

Lovely little box - and a sensibly sized photograph of it so that I don't have to scroll sideways continuously to read the post :p :wink: :) .

Gill

Beautiful! Didn't know sycamore could be that characterful, and the shellac finishes it off perfectly.

Where did you source the wood? I've been drawn to sycamore since several members have praised its workability, but always thought it was a bit bland.

Pete
The sycamore came from Yandles in Somerset. BIG plank-2 inch think, 20 inch wide and 8 foot tall! Cost a reasonable £40! :shock:
Here's a pic before I hacked into pieces...... :lol:
Cheers
sycamore.jpg

Very nice, Philly. But how is anyone without a you-know-who's chisel to get any idea of scale? Better pose it by each of your tools in turn, to give everyone as many chances as possible to find a match... :wink: I take it the M of P was the design opportunity created by the through grooves..?

Cheers, Alf

Alf
No, No,No! The M-O-P was for, eh, um....Damn! Wondered how long it would take for someone to guess! :lol: :lol:
Yes, I had a "Doh!" moment-I double checked and still did it! What a plonker :roll: Mind you-it looks great now, and there isn't one non-woody who would guess :wink:
Waka
You are right-the Rat was a great purchase (even if you did bend my arm a little :lol: ) See you later this week!
Cheers

Philly":25k2n39z said:
Here's a pic before I hacked into pieces

Very nice... even before you hacked it into pieces :).

I think sycamore just leapt to the top of my 'must buy' list!

Nice box Philly :wink: I was wondering about that MOP but I see that Alf asked the question first :whistle:

You know, I checked, checked and then checked again before cutting the groove for the bottom. And STILL I DID IT! :oops:
When I start making stupid mistakes I make it a rule to stop straight away and go indoors. Must start following that rule one day...... :lol:
Cheers

Hi All
Been a busy boy and finished a second of these boxes....
2005_0502DOUBLE0041.jpg

Thats all the bits left over, so no more boxes in sycamore for a while!
Cheers

Hi Philly

Somehow I missed this thread first time around. :shock:

The boxes are absolutely beautiful. I particularly love the curves and the spalted ripple sycamore is just something else.

Absolutely brilliant. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Where's the MOP? :wink:

Very nice Philly. BTW what lighting do you use when taking these photos?

Cheers

Tim

Back