OF1400 Ergonomics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of backstory, I've been using routers for about 25 years and they've all been the standard two identical handles on the sides. A while ago, my 2301 developed an issue that I couldn't fix so went on the look out for a replacement...
My dad (also a joiner) offered to buy me one, I graciously refused (he's bought me enough things over the years). Anyway he went out and bought an OF1400 under the premise that he'd use it, I know he wont as he is mainly hand tools and the type of work he does doesn't lend itself to routing.

Back on topic, I don't want to be sound ungrateful, but I've used it a couple of times and just don't feel comfortable due to the unusual handle design. I'm not sure if its because I'm left handed and/or I'm thoroughly used to 'normal' router handles.

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone initially felt the same way and got used to it. I'm considering suggesting selling it so any advice would be welcome.
thanks
Jon

I think it's one of those "Marmite" tools, you either love it or hate it. I personally hate it and prefer the traditional design that's pretty much on every other router ever made. It kind of feels like they tried to design a sander at first but then ended up with a router underneath it instead :lol:

I've got a Makita 2301FCXK like you had, wonderful router. The linear ball bearings on the plunge make using it sublime 8)

Love mine, the handle makes it easy to use one handed.

Guess the trigger lock would be awkward for lefties.

I know what you mean.
I had an Elu 177e, a 96 and a 96e. They were all stolen and I really miss them. I have the OF 1400 as well as the OF 1010. Both excellent routers. But I do prefer the ergonomics of the old Elus. I just hope that whoever has them now is enjoying using them and doesn't realise that have helped to fund crime :(

It's not me, it's you ;) I'm a leftie who moved from dual handled affairs to the 1010 and 1400 routers without a blink. I do have to take care not to hit the lock-on button but that's now down to muscle memory. The depth setting, dust extraction and track compatibility are compelling features.

Thanks for the replies..I got another 2301 as the Festool isn't mine cup of tea. Nothing against Festool, the quality is excellent.

mbartlett99":1e5vpyy3 said:
I'll have - wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable

:mrgreen: It'll probably be in the for sale section any day, if you're still interested.

Back