o'donnell grinding jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halken

Established Member
Reaction score
Im new to turning and i have quickly realized that my sharpening skills leave a lot to be desired so ive bought this jig off ebay, ive searched for instructions on how to set it up but i cant find them anywhere. I know the jig is out of production now but i wonder if any member has a copy they could email me or point me in the right direction.

Im self taught (haha) i make mistakes all the time but on wednesday night i took some pens i had made out with me to show my mates and i sold 2 for £10 each. I bought the kits from timberbits in Austrailia who are the cheapest supplier i can find and i have ordered 3 times and each time it takes less than a week to arrive and i think the quality is fine.

I have loads of ideas for the future but i need to sort out my sharpening so any help or advice would be very welcome

Don't do your self down fr being 'self taught' Kenny. Loads of us are just that. There is bound to be a turning club near to you and I'm sure someone will come up with it. Go along and see and learn. Anyone who tells you that they have never made a mistake is a bloody liar. The next time I pick up the bits of a fail is NOT going to be the first time! Hole in the bottom of a bowl :oops: A vase that turns into a peanut bowl :oops: Bin there, done that mate!

Sharpening is the subject of loads of books and if you tell us what the name of the jig is that you have then there will be someone who will be able to point you in the right direction, even if it to put it in the nearest bin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Even if the jig is out of production there should be some knowledge about it somewhere?

As for pens at £10, I sell mine for 15€. A bit more, but not a lot. At least while the € lasts :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welcome to the very slippery slope Kenny!

Edit : - Just found this gouge-grinds-t55551.html . Richard is no 1 nice guy, just ask any questions you have and remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask!

Edit 2 : - This looks like your jig. http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Grindin ... stems.html

The blokes at the Tool Post wil possibly be able to help with instructions? Give them a cll or e-mail.. Mention the forum too! Good luck.

The settings vary according to the size of your grinder.

Presuming yours is a standard 6" grinder the centre height of the wheel must be 4" & the distance between the centre line & the base of the jig is 3". For a 7" grinder the measurements are 4.5" & 3.5" & for an 8" grinder 5.5" & 4" (seems to be a 1" jump for the 8" grinder).

Hope that helps.

As soon as I get time I'll see if I can scan a copy.

Regards
wasbit

Thanks for the replies lads some good info there ,
i had another go on google tonight and i found some one had uploaded the instructions guess where :D on our site
o-donnell-grinding-jig-t29814.html
this was posted in 2009 .
this site never fails to amaze me i just need to learn how to use the search facility properly.
the jig i have bought does not have any of the accesories with it so i will have to send a few emails to see if anyone still has them in stock. i have cut down an aluminium sheet so i try to make my own but i,m not sure about the diamond dresser.
john was right when he mentioned the slippery slope im on it now and enjoying the ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back