Odd dividing plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most useful dividing plates are those with Prime Number rings. It's easy to divide many even numbers, Primes are the difficult ones and often needed for both Screw & Gear cutting.

Without a 61 hole plate it's very difficult to make a 61T Gear - I don't have a solution in my Gear-hobbing spread-sheet for 61 - - - but neither do I have for 37, 41, 47, 59, 67, 73, 79 . . . . . .

There are solutions, but they all require you to have an existing 61T or 122T gear. Oh yes, to make a 122T gear you also need an existing 61 or 122!

To make a 61 hole plate you need a dividing head that can advance accurately 5.901639344°, most advance 4° per turn so that would be 1 turn plus 0.475409836 turn.

With a 61 hole plate you could easily make a 61T and thence a 122T Gear.

I solved my problem for a 37T gear by using my CNC machine to 'engrave' it, as I did for the 41T.

I've also counted the holes in the plate in question and can confirm that it is 61.

Last edited:
From distant memory aren't the odd number dividing plates used with more rotations to achieve finer divisions of the index.
I could be well off the mark.
geoff

Latest posts

Back