October Challenge ( Discussion Thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Please post any Questions or comments on this thread

discussion

babylon355
Blister
Bodrighy
callumlovatt
cambournepete
chill
Chris357
Chrisp
clk230
como
Daven
dennisk ( Ready )
DougieH
duncanh ( Ready )
Dust Busker
Elaine
gus3049
Haldane ( Ready )
Hudson Carpentry ( Ready )
j1mbr0wn
Jonzjob ( Ready )
Jumps
Leo
liamscanlan
loz ( Withdrawn )
maltrout512
matmac
Melinda_dd ( Ready )
miles_hot
monkeybiter
myturn
nev ( Ready )
not_simple_si
Oakbear
OldWood
philb88
Pvt_Ryan
RATWOOD
RO
Silverbirch ( Ready )
spasm
steve66
SVB
tekno.mage
tinytim1458
TheTiddles
tpot
whacky
Wood spoiler ( Ready )

Hey this sounds fun

I like the idea of a video but I've never done a You Tube!

Add it to the list.

This woodturning malarkey is tougher than it looks with so many firsts. Last month had to learn flower arranging and now cinematography - whatever next?

The rules have upset my applecart, I was all set to make a Solitare set, but that falls foul of "childs" toy. The thinking cap is back on ....

Wood spoiler":38sgvm94 said:
The rules have upset my applecart, I was all set to make a Solitare set, but that falls foul of "childs" toy. The thinking cap is back on ....

It is so a childs toy! look here...http://www.onlinewoodentoys.co.uk/produ ... 14539.aspx age 3+ (but i think that may be child geniuses :shock: )
or is it a game?
are a game and a toy different things? the clot thickens :?

Jonzjob":13d9ghfn said:
Is it necessary that ALL of the pieces are completely turned? As one of the toys I'm thinking of has one or two bits that are turned and sawn or just sawn?

All structural parts need to be turned , screws couplings etc are allowed to hold it together if needed

long ago I was taught never to assume - so I will ask....

no limit on the number of pieces of wood this time?

- Fit for purpose, so if it is a pull along truck, make sure it does just that, wheels roll nicely, not too heavy for a child to pull etc etc

I'm completely lost :? Every thing I think of contains a couple of bits not turned.....all im coming up with is spinning tops, whistles, and a ball and cup that's completely turned... and they just don't float my boat. #-o

And how would you make "a pull along truck" completely turned with nothing that hasn't been on the lathe?
my brain hurts :?

Ok I've had that light bulb moment... with a little help :wink: The brain only hurts from deciding what to do now!!!

I'm with you there Melinda and by the way a cup and ball has a cord and unless?????????? Well?

Surely there must be some flexibility? A percentage perhapse?

Babies rattles can be all turned, but they are very restricted.

As for the site mentioned earlier about the solitair boards? They say on there that they are suitable for 3 years and over. A 3 year old with a dozen or so marbles/wooden balls/small pegs? NO WAY! Traiding Standards would be straight down your neck in the U.K. I know just how strict they are when I started making wooden toys! You have to have a little jig, like a tiny version of the carry on hand baggage used on cheap airlines, and if anything goes through it then it a huge NO NO!

This is one and I ain't read it all! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_safety

Just google 'small parts on toys safety uk' there's more info there than you can swallow!

Jonzjob":2ks4syqn said:
I'm with you there Melinda and by the way a cup and ball has a cord and unless?????????? Well?

Surely there must be some flexibility? A percentage perhapse?

Babies rattles can be all turned, but they are very restricted.

As for the site mentioned earlier about the solitair boards? They say on there that they are suitable for 3 years and over. A 3 year old with a dozen or so marbles/wooden balls/small pegs? NO WAY! Traiding Standards would be straight down your neck in the U.K. I know just how strict they are when I started making wooden toys! You have to have a little jig, like a tiny version of the carry on hand baggage used on cheap airlines, and if anything goes through it then it a huge NO NO!

This is one and I ain't read it all! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_safety

Just google 'small parts on toys safety uk' there's more info there than you can swallow!

I'm lost.....

The challenge isn't health and safety compliant - it's judged with a common sense view on the suitability (and functionality) of the item, against the target audience.

As to the turned contribution - again common sense (I make rocking horse chairs and they have a small turned element (v-small) so I wouldn't dream of entering one, and would understand if the 'judge' sugested my entry was in-appropriate.

We have a wide brief, with clear statement of judging principles - seems good to me.

Jumps, the reference to the site for the solitair boards has nothing to do with this challenge, it was just a passing reference to a comment made earlier as you wel know. Also, if you read the guidelines there is a line that says "Size and scale apropriate to the item & intended recipient ( No small detachable parts that may be swallowed ) " !!!!!

As for what is, or is not acceptable then if everything has to be turned out of wood then where do metal screws and fixings come into it? I'm lost too so don't feel as if you are out there on your own mate.

As for the % I was asking about? One of the toys I make has something like 50 parts of which 3 (three) are not turned, 1 (one) is not wood (a coupe of inches of nylon cord) and the rest are turned wooden bits. Another toy has 22 bits. Once again 3 are not turned and everything is wood. All of the above, on both toys, start as logs, not dowel, and are cut and turned to make those toys.

All structural parts need to be turned , screws couplings etc are allowed to hold it together if needed

Just to clear this up " All structural parts need to be turned " It is a wood turning challenge not a carpentry challenge "

Screws and couplings are allowed ( Non wooden ) ,
If you make a pull along train with carriages metal couplings can be used to connect the coaches ,
also screws are allowed to fix the item together and maybe secure the wheels etc if dowels are not used

And as to the string , yes you can use string as its not a structural part ( Unless you know otherwise ? ) :wink:

Hi all

I may be able to give some clarification from my judges point of view.

I have no problem with the item havining non turned details but this is a turning contest so if, for example, you made a toy car and the only turning is the wheels then I would be judging your wheels against someone elses train for example, which might have turned wheels, boiler, funnel etc etc

I hope this helps! Remember, this is supposed to be fun!!

Cheers

Richard

dennisk":x3y9lzjw said:
Define "childs" toy. Is there and age limit?
Most youngsters like to be thought of as adults by the age of 10

So lets say up to 10 years old

Someone will disagree though :wink:

I agree with Blister, around 10 seems a reasonale age. One of the reasons I stated that you should Give the target age range with your entry was to try and get entrants thinking about what they make in more ways than just "I want to make X,Y or Z" but to think about who the end user will be and actually design around that.

HTH

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back