obtuse angle on mitre cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Refreshing up on my obtuses. The last time i cut some obtuse angles was in 2008ish.

For an example, If i have an angle of 142d and i want to split down the middle for my skirting board and cornice. I get an angle of 71d, i then take away 71 from 90 which leave me with a cut of 19d on the mitre. When i cut the 2 cuts at 19d, they will meet and close the joint percise. When im cutting my cornice for an inside cut, if i cut the 19d, it wont be split in the middle!

Another method i used to use was get a compass, find my angle with the bevel at 142d, mark it on scrap piece of paper. Use the compass on 3 points to find the center. Once the center is found, mark it and cut a scrap piece of timber then set the mitre to this angle.

Would the second method be best for both cuts.

Refreshing up on my obtuses. The last time i cut some obtuse angles was in 2008ish.

For an example, If i have an angle of 142d and i want to split down the middle for my skirting board and cornice. I get an angle of 71d, i then take away 71 from 90 which leave me with a cut of 19d on the mitre. When i cut the 2 cuts at 19d, they will meet and close the joint percise. When im cutting my cornice for an inside cut, if i cut the 19d, it wont be split in the middle!

Another method i used to use was get a compass, find my angle with the bevel at 142d, mark it on scrap piece of paper. Use the compass on 3 points to find the center. Once the center is found, mark it and cut a scrap piece of timber then set the mitre to this angle.

Would the second method be best for both cuts.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Finally, an explanation I completely understand! Just done my first proper obtuse angle (I’m a brand new DIY girl). Hooray!!

Latest posts

Back