Observations on Norm....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been off work after an operation, Ive been watching some NYW progs on the TV. These are quite entertaining and show his very able use of all tools electrical but Ive noticed a few things which set me wondering...

Ive only ever seen him work alone on the NYW progs, why does he then use the term "we" in the programme ("We like this", "weve found that" etc)...?

Just how big is his house?, he often says where pieces of furniture are going to go, or that a certain piece is "destined to be a family heirloom", it must be collossal...

He never seems to fill any of the holes made by his nail gun, are these just left open...?

Does he ever make any mistakes...?

Just wondering.... :?: :?: :?:

Those are some good questions. I expect he's referring to some other family when he's talking heirlooms. He's probably got some underling filling nail holes. Look in the credits under nail hole filler. :)

If you go to the NYW site you can get to a web cam that shows what's going on in the shop. It is interesting when they are shooting.

I have also noticed:
The nail gun never runs out.
It never jams.
The compressor is silent, not chugging away inder the bench.
He always has the right size gun loaded with the right size nails ready to hand.
The nails never go right through, or take a curve.
They never finish up sticking out of the wood by 3mm so you have to punch them in.
You know what - I think they're empty and he uses double sided tape. :wink:

Hi MMD
Hope you get back on your feet soon!
As to Norm-no Norm makes all the projects himself. No talented underlings who do all the hard work-its just Norm. I think he says "we" as the show is his and Russ Morash's baby-he's just be modest.
I believe he fills nail holes before finishing (although he rarely mentions this) Take a look on Norms website for answers-its all there!!
Cheers
Philly :D

At the moment they're showing season one on H&L extra every morning. Now I'm a big Norm fan but I can't believe how dangerous his work practices were back then in the early days of the show.
neilc

Neilc - I imagine that in the early shows he was doing things as he had always done, and was well aware of what was dangerous & what was not (For him) In the latter programmes I suspect that the legal begals have intervened & told him he has make programmes for the uneducated, illerate, imbeciles, who might possibly stumble on his show while trying to find the American equivalent of 'Big Brother' or some such mind numbing TV dross :wink:

If it don't 'feel' right don't do it, but some people will never be able to comprehend this simple philosophy.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, Sky News have just been publicising the TV program Big Brother & it made me wonder who on earth would ever watch it.

MMD,

Remember that he has made a prototype, before he makes the piece on the show, so all of the mistakes are made on that, not on camera. :shock:

Jarviser":1edw7rbq said:
I have also noticed:
The nail gun never runs out.
It never jams.
The compressor is silent, not chugging away inder the bench.
He always has the right size gun loaded with the right size nails ready to hand.
The nails never go right through, or take a curve.
They never finish up sticking out of the wood by 3mm so you have to punch them in.
You know what - I think they're empty and he uses double sided tape. :wink:
LOL :D you have certainly lifted my spirit this morning , thank you :)

Back