Obscure broadband problem (and solution)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a week away to find my BT Broadband connection dead.

After spending several frustrating hours talking to their customer services (surprised myself at how I kept my temper) First Level Support were unable to cure the problem (kept on insisting that it was my laptop/my router even though they both work OK with a different telephone line/ISP....sheesh...where do they get these people from?). They insisted that the line was OK (which it was) but were unable to comprehend the possibility that their internal equipment/software might be faulty.

Finally spoke to a mate of mine who knows what goes on after the wet string has left your router or modem. The solution is to disconnect the ADSL line from the router or modem for at least 4 hours. This gives the internal software time to sort itself out...then replug and reconnect.

So thought I'd share the tip

This might have been a result of the thunder the other night. I have seen a hell of a lot of computer equipment go squiffy over the years due to electrical storms.

I have an occasional problem with mine-I just dial up with my regular modem and the connection jumps back up as soon as I connect. Weird, but it works! :roll:
Philly :D

WiZeR":khh6tlf0 said:
This might have been a result of the thunder the other night. I have seen a hell of a lot of computer equipment go squiffy over the years due to electrical storms.

Not in this case. Every time you try to make a connection, the BT software creates a shell to handle your connection. If the connection doesn't get established then the shell doesn't always get destroyed. So, if you keep trying to make a connection (as one would) then the BT software keeps on creating the shells....until it no longer knows which shell is the right one to use. There is an overriding timeout in the housekeeping routine that flushes out unused shells every four hours.....or so I'm told.

probably too much detail :lol:

yep sounds right Roger, allthough the word 'Shell' is not quite right, The connection will create many processes on top of the shell

Back