Oak window re-oiling/varnishing...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
HI,

I have a lot of nice oak windows put in about 6 years ago - wer are pretty exposed (high up on a hill, open to the prevailing winds & weather) and the original finish, which may be some sort of varnish, is flaking - the wood where its varnished is a lovely honey-golden.

I've just done a test using an orbital sander on a bit of sill to clean it up back to bare wood, wiped down with white spirit and then wiped on some Danish Oil - the wood has gone very dart, almost black - it was a nice grey where the weather had got to it before, but the oil seems to have reacted with it maybe?

Is there a better finish and how can I stop the oak going so dark?

Many thanks

Nick, don't know why your oak is going black, what were you using to wipe on the white spirit and danish oil?

I don't think Danish oil is going to give you much protection outdoors, better you use something that is made for the job such as Osmo UV protector oil, Osmo also do a 'Reviver' which will bring some life back into the grey timber.

Andy

andersonec":orhraea6 said:
Nick, don't know why your oak is going black, what were you using to wipe on the white spirit and danish oil?
Clean white cotton rag - nothing from that...

andersonec":orhraea6 said:
I don't think Danish oil is going to give you much protection outdoors, better you use something that is made for the job such as Osmo UV protector oil, Osmo also do a 'Reviver' which will bring some life back into the grey timber.
This is a good idea - I'll have a look for that...

Thanks

Linseed oil (and other oils?) on old (or merely elderly) weathered timber goes dark brown to black.
Always has, always will.
That's the black in black and white timber houses.
Without the oil it goes grey.

Windows are better painted - ideally with linseed oil based paint.

littlemortonhall.jpg

Jacob":m1b86tpj said:
Linseed oil (and other oils?) on old (or merely elderly) weathered timber goes dark brown to black.
Always has, always will.
That's the black in black and white timber houses.
Without the oil it goes grey.

Windows are better painted - ideally with linseed oil based paint.

littlemortonhall.jpg

Always thought the black was painted in the older buildings. Every day is a school day I suppose.

Noel":163jl7on said:

Always thought the black was painted in the older buildings. .....
It probably often is, but unnecessary, unless to cover non-timber repairs, fillers, perhaps. No point in adding pigment to oil which is going to go black anyway.

Went for the Osmo Wood Reveiver followed by UV 420 clear oil...

Lot of work reviving the wood - it was very very grey - almost black in places - that stuff is absolute magic - 2.5 Ltrs did 16 windows and doors - some of them are large - one frame has 6 casements [3 opening] and is 18ft wide - and some required a couple of treatments in places to remove all the staining. The oil covered very well - used only about 1Ltr of that so far...

16 windows and doors done (all ground floor). Rest (19 more to do) will have to wait until spring as its now raining ! I'll need a mini-tower thingy to do them safely...

Took opportunity to renew some of the frame sealant that had shrunk or lost its flexibility too...

Thanks for the advice...

Cheers

Attachments

• 20120922_174829.jpg
    20120922_174829.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back