Oak window boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driftwoodman

Reaction score
Hello folks

I am planning on fitting oak window boards to these openings, have done a bit of research on-line & the best idea I have see is
Drill holes in the bottom of the oak & sit the boards on top of screws using chemical fix. This is ok for the front because there is block work to screw into, but at the back there is a cavity so i have nothing to screw into.

Any ideas would bee much appreciated

John

windowboard.jpg

and heres a pic of it

I think I'd just use Gripfil or similar.

Alternatively, first fix some plywood in place, drilling and screwing down into whatever the wall is made of, so you have a smooth level surface stronger than your dodgy plaster. Then stick your nice oak boards down onto the ply.

I think for the width you show there would be enough give in the glue to cope with any expansion/contraction, provided that you use dabs of it here and there, not a continuous layer.

AndyT":303z2s9h said:
I think I'd just use Gripfil or similar.

Alternatively, first fix some plywood in place, drilling and screwing down into whatever the wall is made of, so you have a smooth level surface stronger than your dodgy plaster. Then stick your nice oak boards down onto the ply.

I think for the width you show there would be enough give in the glue to cope with any expansion/contraction, provided that you use dabs of it here and there, not a continuous layer.

I think Andy's got it spot on there. :) _Dan.

I asked the same question about a year ago, and was advised my Karl to use No Nails and glue it down. Gave it some liberal coats of oil on both sides and its not moved at all over the time.

I would cut the plasterboard off so that the window board floats under it at the ends. In a timber window frame the window board goes into a groove in the sill and is not glued at the back, but screwed and plugged at the front and allowed to shrink and expand in the groove. The new frames don’t have a groove but it looks like you do have a recess in the frame that may cover some small timber movement. My site chippie stuck them down with plastering bonding compound scary but it worked, as previously said make sure they are well sealed first. Looks like it’s above a cooker hob or sink, have you considered using granite?

Back