Oak vs treated softwood gravelboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.gid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Replacing a fence that was blow down in the storms a few weeks ago. The fence is also a 20cm retaining wall to a raised bed on one side.

I can get 1inch green oak boards (seasoned outdoors for a long time) for not much more than 19mm treated softwood gravelboards from wickes.

The oak would be a bit more work (cutting it to size and treating it with ronseal preservative) but do you think it would last as long as softwood?

Rest of the fence is being replaced with oak (screen slats) so would be good to keep it all looking the same but not the end of world as can stain the gravelboards black.

I'd not use the treated gravel boards from Wickes or any preserved timber decking material. It is treated to Class 3 and is not suitable for ground contact or anything that is frequently wet. If you can find a supplier who does there own treatment then you are fine as you can specify Class 4 which is designed for such use. I had some scaffolding planks treated to this level about 30 years ago for edging the borders. When we moved 25 years later they were solid.

Colin

Have a look at Durapost composite gravel boards - I've just done our sideway with the steel posts to make a low retaining wall 2 boards high (30cm) - pretty sure the boards would fit into eisiting slotted concrete posts. The boards I bought were cheaper than concrete ones

I would agree with robgul about going with a composite. Maybe a composite decking board might be good you can get a few colours.
Any wood touching the ground will rot eventually, seems like a waste to use Oak.

Ollie

The gravel boards you get are poor and don't last any time at all even if they are treated unless you can pick up slow grown larch. Same as fence posts these days. A composite board or concrete will last for ever but I would base it on the life span of the posts which depending on the ground I reckon is 5-7 years if your lucky. If you use composite board it could be reused at a later date.

Thanks for the responses. The posts i put in are oak (as i paid just under £30 per ft^3) which by my reckoning was about the same price as softwood from the local builders yard/wickes, and i rather support the old guy that runs the sawmill. Think most of his wood is from fallen trees or people that have had trees removed so seems pretty eco friendly as well.

Will probably get some more oak for the gravel boards, planning on putting a layer of gravel on the soil side of the board anyway (as i've moved the fence back a little bit) so hopefully that will help with longevity.

If your using oak posts and are supporting a local sawmill I would get oak boards from him. I used to have a good few small sawmills around me but alas they have all gone or been swallowed up by the big guys. You can still get old style creosote for treating but I think it may be for professional use only. The guy at the sawmill may be able to get it for you.

Back