Oak top in WC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a cupboard in my downstairs WC that will hold a glass bowl sink. The cupboard is a off the shelf carcass from B&Q (it is exact size I required, off the shelf) but I have made MDF doors and I am going to put a 1 inch thick oak top on the cupboard. On this oak top will stand a glass bowl sink and a mixer tap.

I am wondering if the best way of finishing this oak top would be a varnish or an oil? It wont be getting soaking wet but needs to withstand splashes.

advice would be welcome

I've done it both ways and find a water based floor lacquer is the best and tend to use that on oak tops but on things like walnut it does not bring out the colour as well as oil so that what I use on teh darker woods.

Smith & Rogers Aquacote is teh Lacquer I've been using lately
http://www.frenchpolishes.com/products/aquacoat_sp.htm

All the oak on the first 3 rows of photos here are lacquer and teh walnut in the first oil

Thanks Jason, I don't have a spray booth so I will have to brush it on, is laquer ok to brush on?

Thats all hand applied, its one of the few things that I find a paint pad works well on as it does not introduce any bubbles.

J

Me again, got me some laquer/varnish that I can use on this oak but I've done a test piece and when dried it seems to have soaked into the grain making it rough to touch. Do I keep sanding it back to 400 grit smooth and reapplying varnish or would I be better getting a grain filler?

Anything waterbased will raise the grain sand it back and the next coat won't do it antwhere near as much. May wont something a bit rougher than 400g the first time.

J

the finish worked out well ...

2012-03-15%252020.40.11.jpg

Nice. I'd be a bit precious about getting water on that, particularly if there was any soap in it. Perhaps ensure that there is never any water trapped between bowl and oak?

Latest posts

Back