Oak Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
[I've split this into three sections, to assist in downloading all the images] - Adam
Phew, also just finished this. It's a birthday present for my sister from last year. Total build time was about 2-3 weeks, of odd evenings and occasional bits of weekends, and about a week for oiling. It's english oak and walnut, air dried, then kept in the spare room for a few months. Prior to that it had been stored indoors for about 3-4 years.

Here, I've ripped a couple of lengths and trimmed to approx length and planing the edges ready for jointing.

click on image for larger view
Now checking everything is going to glue up square. I have a face edge marked on all pieces, having picked out the best sides.

Still not happy, so it's back to the vice and plane!

I've added a few biscuits, as more for alignment as for strength, before gluing up.

Next it's time to make the legs - it's 2" thick but the Scheppach just breezes though.

All four legs cut. They need to have a taper added, but I seem to have forgotten to photograph that stage!

The table is going to have a magazine shelf - so I've got a solid piece of oak, and some walnut veneer. The veneer is about 10mm thick - but has a lovely grain.

I've not got a thicknesser so I have to do this by hand. ;-(

Muggins here, loosing a few calories.

Checking the legs and the top, and considering how I'm going to cut 4 x 1.5" square through mortices in the top. The weight of the top alone would make it difficult to do in the woodrat. In the end, I take the "easy" route out and opt for the morticer at work.

Please see next post for section 2 of 3!

Section 2 of 3

I've now got all my bits, 4 x legs, 1 x top, and 1 x shelf.

Smoothing the top. I'm using a #6 jointer, - I just like them! I later changed to a #80 scraper - to give a final finish.

I've trimmed the lengths to length, leaving a few offcuts. Here I'm am double checking that it's all going to fit!

Mcu as I like the hand tools, eventually everything calls for some tailed assistance. Here I'm making a groove for the walnut veneer.

But it's not long before I switch back to the hand tools, just to clean those edges up.

I can't remember why, but I was having trouble getting the veneer square, in the end, I ended up mounting the plane in the vice and pushing the wood past. It worked really well.

Glued up and ready for clamping

After drying, I get to see my finished result!

I want a profile around the end of the table, so it's back to the woodrat. I'm using a simple round cutter

Please see next post for section 3 of 3!

Adam

Section 3 of 3

This gives the following profile. Not much fun to sand ;-(

For some reason, I seem to have lost a load of photos. I'm sure they must have got in the wrong directory on my PC. Anyway, lots of morticing, tenoning (on the woodrat), tapering the legs, notching the legs, cutting slots for the wedged through tenons. I got a dowel plate made at work, and made some walnut dowels. I put a small 'V' in the bottom with a junior hacksaw before gluing. I couldn't believe the amount of glue that squeezed out.

Finished! I've given the top a couple of coats of danish oil already.

Close up of the wedged tenons. Don't look too closely as the wedge is just a fraction to wide.

I've brought it inside for finishing. SWMBO is never impressed, but she's keen for my sister not to wait too much longer!

Here it is in better light, outside the workshop

Those homemade dowels look OK!

The walnut veneer close up. It oiled up really well. The grain was wild so I was really pleased to have a scraper. I bought a Veritas #80 especially for this project. Well you have to don't you?

More finished shots!

The reason I used a wider veneer than solid piece in the top is clear here. Mostly, you look down at a table, and with the difference in viewing distance, the bottom "appears" to be as wide as the top. I was really pleased this turned out like this.

Well, that's all folks!

Adam

Adam,

That's a great job, well done. I'm impressed by the tightness of the M/Ts, they look lovely and clean, not easy to do with a mortice machine I would have thought? The walnut goes very nicely with the oak too - gives me some ideas for all the walnut scraps I presently chuck away!

Your sister should be well pleased.

Chris,

I find you get really good results with a morticer. I cut the tenons to fit after, on the woodrat. I was able to keep taking really fine cuts until each leg fitted very tightly. I did sweat a bit though, as any mistakes show up on the surface. It was a good practice of skills for me though.

Adam

Adam
Very nice indeed! Amazed you managed to complete it in such a short time.
You'll miss thicknessing by hand when you squeeze your p/t in!
I hope my sister doesn't see this - I made her a butcher's block for her birthday!
Cheers
Gidon

Simply superb :D

Thanks for taking the time to take all those pictures for us. This is really informative.

Adam,
I think we should make you "Site Photographer" for your outstanding pics (and having the guts to show your face "on camera"! :lol: ).
I have a fair few shots that require a steady hand, so if your free on the weekend.............?
I'll let you use my thicknesser..................?
Cheers,
Philly :D

Philly":2hjm0l2j said:
(and having the guts to show your face "on camera"! :lol: ).Cheers, Philly :D

Well, I have no shame, here's me (see avatar left) doing an alien impression.

A

Adam

Superb work. I am deeply jealous of your abilities wit hthe hand tools. How about some lessons in exchange for Ruddles County in my workshop?

Also really like the 'photo diary' idea and think more members should do the same to inspire the rest of us

Cheers

Tony

Excellent project Adam. Really good joinery on the thru M&Ts - not an easy joint to get just right on a heavy table top.
Keep it coming!

Hi Adam

You must be very proud. You've made an excellent job of it.

I just wish I had a quarter of the hand skills you have.

All the best
Neil

Well, everyone's already said what I was going to say... but I'll say it anyway :).

Great job, Adam. Nicely designed, nicely built, and a fine job with the photos. Always great to see a project completed, but even greater to see it come together. Thanks for sharing :).

Hi Adam,

Excellent job, and all without a thicknesser. I have been using my machines for so long i forget what it is like to do it by hand. You should be proud of yourself. I bet your sister is.

Mike.C

Back