Oak sleeper finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
Thanks in advance as always!
Im looking for some advice on what finish to put on some oak sleepers I’ve used in my garden as boarders and a raised bed.
I installed them a couple of years ago and used Osmo UV protection oil as I didn’t want them to silver too soon but turns out this isn’t really designed for the job. Apparently it’s designed more for vertical surfaces like fences etc where there is no standing water. The osmo didn’t seem to last more than 6 months. Anyone any thoughts on a product I could use that would only need annual/ biennial application?

This search should turn up some glowing reports of Le Tonkinois yacht "varnish" (it's tung and linseed oil with some other bits) and there's a long term observation of how it lasted outdoors in amongst it all. I've not used it outdoors myself but have used it in our bathroom and it's resisted the kids worst attempts extremely well.

Hi All.
Thanks in advance as always!
Im looking for some advice on what finish to put on some oak sleepers I’ve used in my garden as boarders and a raised bed.
I installed them a couple of years ago and used Osmo UV protection oil as I didn’t want them to silver too soon but turns out this isn’t really designed for the job. Apparently it’s designed more for vertical surfaces like fences etc where there is no standing water. The osmo didn’t seem to last more than 6 months. Anyone any thoughts on a product I could use that would only need annual/ biennial application?
a recent thread that might be of interest Protecting oak sleepers

The words finish and oak sleeper just don't go together in my mind. The whole point of using oak outside is that it is durable (it will rot if in contact with the ground, though) and weathers down to an attractive grey patina.

Back