Oak slab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you do with this slab of oak ? I don't have the confidence to make a table or any furniture with it any suggestions welcome it's 42 in tall and about 1 inch thick if not a little bit more thanks' Mock

Attachments

• DSCF0211.jpg
    DSCF0211.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF0213.jpg
    DSCF0213.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF0212.jpg
    DSCF0212.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 317
Fill the hole with blue resin, sand it, screw a hairpin leg on each corner, a couple of coats of oil and sell for at least £2k :wink:

Don’t do anything with it, wait until you get some inspiration.

I would make a box lid from that knot hole, I did one a while back from a piece of brown oak Custard gave me.

Pete

If you don’t have the confidence to actually make anything with it you may as well chuck it in the bin :lol:

I have a similar piece in my garage that is screwed to the wall and used as a decorative tool hanging back board!

MikeG.":1cu1h4t9 said:
Racers":1cu1h4t9 said:
Don’t do anything with it, wait until you get some inspiration.........

This, absolutely.
Wot Mike said. There's a project(s) in there waiting to get out and when you know what it is, that piece of oak will be perfect for the job. In the meantime, I'd remove all the sapwood as the bugs n'beasties do like to dine out it it and having finished with the sap, they may well start on the heartwood for dessert :D - Rob

It's a tough one. There's not enough wood there to make a piece of furniture if you leave the wood that thickness.

One approach would be to cut it into a lot of little bits, then resaw them thin. (I'm assuming you have access to a bandsaw or a good ripsaw.)

Then you could make a box, probably a surprisingly small one.

Alternatively, how about carving some sort of platter? Or more likely, two, either side of the big knot. Or even a graduated set of three.

This could be quite a change and challenge if you mostly make flat things. I suggest you draw the shape of the dish, fix down through the spare bits, carve, then saw round the outside. You wouldn't have to shape the outside.

Or you could do something similar but more regular on the lathe.

Or make a stool seat out of half of it and three spokeshaved legs from the rest to fit into holes.

Doug71":2a5obdvu said:
Fill the hole with blue resin, sand it, screw a hairpin leg on each corner, a couple of coats of oil and sell for at least £2k :wink:
I am very tempted to do as you suggested i am a little afraid of using resin with my chest .Saying that it;s something i always wanted to do .I wish there was someone local who could guide me through it
Regarding 2k yes that would be nice , :lol: :lol: Mock

Latest posts

Back