Oak Rad cover and bathroom cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully ive made the pics smaller this time :lol:
radcoveroak009.jpg

Not sure if i should cut a vent in the bottom or if the gaps between the uprights will be enough .

Looks good jas. I usually put cutouts in the bottom as it helps with the convection currents but much more importantly it means there is less to cut off on site if the floor is not level :wink:

Jason

I know what you mean but the cover is going in a room that i have paneled out in oak and the base is the same size as the panel base . It may look odd with a cut out :-k

Depends on the rad, if it is a plain one then it will not make much difference, if it has fins on the back as most do then it needs the flow of air to allow it to perform at its best.

Also if its got a TRV you would be better changing to a standard valve as the build-up of heat in the cabinet will make it turn off too soon.

And don't forget to paint everything inside the casing matt black for the best visual effect.

Jason

Ill be putting a remote sensor onto the rad outside the cabinet . As this is for the Library i am building for a client and we are having everything french polished i was going to ask the polisher to do the rad in the same finish , French polish a rad :lol: I know what hes going to tell me to do :lol:

Its a plain cover but will look good in the room of paneling , and better than a rad ! I made the top out of oak veneer mdf and lipped it with solid oak , not for cost saving , i thought a solid top would cup as its taking most of the heat . The sides are also oak veneer for the same reason . The front and insert are all solid oak and the uprights are 18mm x 18mm 1/3 lapped over the insert frame . I was going to mortice them in so they where flush but i need to earn a living as well as have fun :lol:
radcoveroak007.jpg

JFC

Looks good. I like the details on the uprights (posts).
The only things that concerns me is those round spots in the pic. I hope that is something on the camera lens and not on the wood. :(
How close is the top peice to the top of the rad?

Travis

Nice one.

Can you take a photo from the back please - I'd like to see the lapping you described.

Cheers

Tim

Hope this shows the lapping detail and the spots are dust , it gets everywhere in my place :lol:
radcoveroak001.jpg

The top will be around 200mm from the rad but it will fit in with the paneling , i normally keep the tops around 50mm from the rad .

I keep getting the settings on the camera wrong :roll:
I had enough off cuts from the paneling and rad cover to knock myself up a new bathroom cabinet :D
bathroom001.jpg

Back