Oak pricing ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to source source some Oak for a new project. Using the prices on British Hardwoods website it works out at £220 for Prime Grade Waney Edged boards or £283 for Prime Grade 2 square edged boards.

Am I missing something because it seems to me that given machining time and wastage, It wouldn't be any cheaper to buy the waney edged boards.

Jeff

Jeff,

No, you are not missing anything. Wastage depends on amount of wane (which in turn depends on how far from the centre of the tree the board was cut) and the degree to which the edges of the board are not straight.

These factors can sometimes lead to very high wastage. In oak which is usually sourced from plantation grown, straight trunked trees, wastage is lower than other woods like English walnut where straight runs of clear timber hardly exist. However, for oak, I would reckon on waney edged material introducing additional wastage (over square edged) of up to 30%. Factor in your time and your initial assumption soon looks correct.

I agree with Chris.
I tend to buy PAR instead of waney sawn from British Hardwoods, because you're not paying that much more, there's almost zero waste, and it takes the slog out of preparing the wood.
Even when I'm planing the wood to my own dimensions, it's only a few passes on the planer/thicknesser instead of the usual grind ](*,)

is`nt the "usual grind" half the fun, or am I missing something?

steve

kityuser":djs6cz4p said:
is`nt the "usual grind" half the fun, or am I missing something?
:lol: LOL!
Yep! Each to there own :whistle:
Wood prep is the least fun part of woodwork for me. I love the design, the joinery and the finishing (1st coat at least :wink: ).
I love taking a sawn piece and revealing the wonderful grain therein, but after that, passing it through the planer/thicknesser umpteen times has become my personal "grind". :?

Aragorn":38ip47cs said:
Yep! Each to there own
Wood prep is the least fun part of woodwork for me. I love the design, the joinery and the finishing (1st coat at least ).
I love taking a sawn piece and revealing the wonderful grain therein, but after that, passing it through the planer/thicknesser umpteen times has become my personal "grind".

Couldn't agree with you more although I prefer the last coat in the finish process (just need someone else to do the first three and sanding in between!):wink:

T

Back