Oak Plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Guys

Just received the copy of 'WOOD' magazine that I ordered from the states, as I was interested in building their 'Traditional Oak Sideboard'.

My query probaby relates to American terminology... They are specifying "Oak Plywood" as the material to use for the panels. Now I would have expected it to say "Oak Veneered Ply", probably in this case, veneered both sides. However, are they referring to a different material?

I'm fairly new to this game, so like many, I am still learning (and will be for a verrrry long time :lol: )

Knowing how much some of this timber costs, my investigations into my projects seem to last a very long time. Hopefully, this one will be a runner... :wink:

Foxprint,

Almost certainly the reference is to oak veneered ply - two sides.

In the UK we seem to get veneered MDF - two sides, in more thickness/choices, than ply. I hate working MDF but it is a lot more stable than even the birch ply we get these days. As a rule of thumb you can substitute MDF for ply in most cases except shelving. I do however stress "rule of thumb " and "in most cases"

Fox,

Agree with Chris, the reference is to oak faced ply. Just be careful on colour, can be some variation after finishing. You could, of course, use other species of faced ply or MDF. If you have a friendly timber yard see if you get a few samples and apply your preferred finish.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for the replies guys... Thought as much. Thanks for the tips on MDF and on finishing.

Back