Oak pig's ear handrail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no response.Maybe because I spelled cautionary incorrectly...
I think I will go ahead with this, so one more question. Should I cut the ends at an angle so that they are vertical? Could be the difference between having to buy a 3.6 metre lenght or 4.2 metres.
I'm having trouble visualizing it, and can't finf any pictures on-line.

I bought some of their mopstick oak handrail over a year ago, and am just now fitting it!!
It's good, well finished [sanded, not 'varnished'] one length is 3.6m and it has stayed straight.
I can't fault it.
If you've got joins that change direction and up/down angle, have fun getting the angle of the cuts right (or maybe it's child's play to you - it wasn't to me!) In my case they are outside, and I funked it and left gaps!
John

I absolutely loathe this style of handrail. Doesn't feel right when you're going up and down as it just doesn't seem to be the right position for the hand (or at least my hand),there's barely any room for fingers and it feels cramped, they collect dirt and dust like nothing and you leave marks on the walls where your hand's been running and on top of that you need a VERY straight wall for it to look tidy without loads of caulk.

Looks like a good idea on paper, absolutely terrible in practice I've found. I didn't like it, customers didn't like it after a week, ended up tearing it out and replacing it with a mopstick and fancy brackets.

Everyone's different though :)

johnbb99":7e2gnoz9 said:
I funked it and left gaps!
I think hand rails are supposed to be continuous under UK regulations. I tried to follow UK regs when I renewed our stairs, even though I am not in the UK. Difficult to do, at least in a refurb.

Trevanion":1sl5p4a9 said:
I absolutely loathe this style of handrail. Doesn't feel right when you're going up and down as it just doesn't seem to be the right position for the hand (or at least my hand),there's barely any room for fingers and it feels cramped, they collect dirt and dust like nothing and you leave marks on the walls where your hand's been running and on top of that you need a VERY straight wall for it to look tidy without loads of caulk.

Looks like a good idea on paper, absolutely terrible in practice I've found. I didn't like it, customers didn't like it after a week, ended up tearing it out and replacing it with a mopstick and fancy brackets.

Everyone's different though :)
Well that's food for thought. Maybe I could find some somewhere? See what we think.

I worry about getting good fixings for mopstick and brackets, with the extra leverage. The other "wing" of our house has a stupid rope handrail, and all the fixings are a bit suspect, even though they have wooden pattresses.
This side is a barn conversion, although the wall in question is not part of the barn. I think it's solid, though, and not a stud wall.

Latest posts

Back