Oak newel cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Yikes..........Mike is in the turning sub-forum!!!

I am going to be turning an acorn-type newel cap shortly. This will be a solid lump about 4" in diameter and maybe 6 or 7" high. I have plenty of off cuts of (now seasoned) oak with which to do this, but would my chances of not developing a split be better if I laminated 1" boards together rather than trying this from one solid piece? Anything else I should be looking out for or avoiding?

Absolutely do solid... it such a focal point laminations would show no matter what? It's not that big a diameter and no bigger than plenty of other turned legs etc.

My newel cap is laminated and reckon it would suit your stairs Mike.

newel top 1.jpg

newel top 2.jpg

And before anyone asks no I didn't carve it, someone I know did it for me.

Attachments

• newel top 1.jpg
    newel top 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 376
  • newel top 2.jpg
    newel top 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 377
I thought I'd nailed newel caps with googly eyes. I'll shut up.
I bow before your cap. It's brilliant.
Love that Doug. What a pleasure to have not just in your house but as part of your house.

Doug71":3l1vv1yf said:
My newel cap is laminated......

Superb. =D>

A friend of mine is carving a 4-faced "green man" (old man of the woods.......ivy hair, big beard) for his newel at the moment. I'll start with the acorn, but it's got a dowel, so is easily removable......

IF it's Acorn Form, are you texture carving the Cupule?

I would suggest you turn it in at least two parts with tenon joints between the parts.

That way the Cupule can be turned sidegrain as per standard bowl blank, either in one piece or laminated, (2 slices glued with grain at 90 deg. with Cascamite say) and Pericarp/Seed as separate smaller spindle piece.

CHJ":3t8ul36y said:
IF it's Acorn Form, are you texture carving the Cupule?

Yes, that's the plan.

I would suggest you turn it in at least two parts with tenon joints between the parts.

:shock: Oh bloody hell. Really? Thanks Chas. :lol:

That way the Cupule can be turned sidegrain as per standard bowl blank, either in one piece or laminated, (2 slices glued with grain at 90 deg. with Cascamite say) and Pericarp/Seed as separate smaller spindle piece.

Is this so that the carving is into uniform grain? Or is it just a cunning plan to get me taking hours over this piece in the hope I'll get addicted? :)

MikeG.":2czc03y6 said:
Is this so that the carving is into uniform grain? Or is it just a cunning plan to get me taking hours over this piece in the hope I'll get addicted? :)

:D
Uniform and most natural grain for carving would obviously be spindle turned from one large piece blank as you first suggested, but of coarse have the highest risk factor for splitting in future.
Have you got any reclaimed Oak that has stood the test of time?

If you go the laminating route, whatever you do endgrain is going to rear its head, the 'sidegrain' layers bonded at 90deg. for the Cupule was an attempt to reduce the risk of splitting, and tenon joins to the seed is an attempt to counteract top to bottom splitting risk.

CHJ":8crgg0rn said:
..........Have you got any reclaimed Oak that has stood the test of time?

Loads. Thinking about it, that might make an interesting contrast with the lighter newer stuff. It might look OK if I use it for the cupule, which is darker in real life.

If you go the laminating route, whatever you do endgrain is going to rear its head, the 'sidegrain' layers bonded at 90deg. for the Cupule was an attempt to reduce the risk of splitting, and tenon joins to the seed is an attempt to counteract top to bottom splitting risk.

I see. I'll have a think about that, in light of the amount of turning I've done.

MikeG.":ezhy0ugm said:
I see. I'll have a think about that, in light of the amount of turning I've done.
The turning required is basic, it's the wood you are using that's the challenge and you've more than mastered its vagaries.
Any tenon dimensions like most are not critical, just need to be matching pairs.

Bm101":3sairkmo said:
I thought I'd nailed newel caps with googly eyes. I'll shut up.
I bow before your cap. It's brilliant.
Love that Doug. What a pleasure to have not just in your house but as part of your house.

Thank you.

He is like part of the family! He has a little santa hat he wears at Christmas, obviously gets dressed up for halloween and you can't help giving him a little pat on the head every time you go up or down stairs.

Back