Oak hollow form.Without finial piccy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
First bit of turning for a while,and came up with this Oak hollow form.
I thought the wood was a lump of Pear till i started getting into it :roll: and i was then going to have a go at ebonizing the whole piece,but Swmbo said NO :shock: So that was that.
So i just ebonized the finial/lid.
I did cheat and used the Chestnut spray.I just didn't want to go wasting it on a big piece like this and not liking it so i was going to try the vinegar method.
Finished sizes are-14" tall,with finial, x 11" wide.Finished with Danish Oil.

Piccy with flash.
Oakfinial1.jpg

Piccy in natural light.
Oakfinial4.jpg

Piccy without finial.
Oakhollow.jpg

Comments welcome :D

the form is very good Paul- forms with the mass down low are harder to do imo as its easy to get a heavy clumsy looking form but you've not got that problem on this piece. :D

i dont care for the final- i dont think this piece needs one.

that is really nice paul, could it be a mark sanger moment. I think you got the balance just right with this, and topped off with a great finial too, well done.

Great looking piece Paul.

Was the hollowing done with your hollowing jig?

I look forward to seeing this in the flesh.

Very nice,the teardrop-shape works well,and shows off the beauty of the oak (and I actually like the finial as well,think the slender look suits the rest of the piece :D )

Andrew

Thanks for all the comments :D
George
The finial was just an afterthought just to try the ebonizing and i meant to take a piccy without the finial.

Doug.
I find it quicker now to use the Munro to get the bulk of the inners out and than use the LJ jig to get the wall thickness,though this does remove wood quickly too :D

Hi Paul

I can normally tell if I like a piece in the first few seconds. And as soon as I saw this one I thought " yep I like that"

Lovely work.

I agree with George these sort of forms are much more difficult to get looking right and this one still looks light as you have lifted it with the small foot.

Nice work.

I like the finial, but Guess it would look just as good without.

It would also look good for me sat on a black square plinth without the finial.

Very nice indeed and I like the finish,

Thank you Mark,glad you like it :D
It is yours and Georges work mainly that as inspired me to do pieces like i am lately,so i just to keep on improving.
I like the idea of a plinth,again something i would never have thought of :roll:

Paul.J":352haxj3 said:
Thank you Mark,glad you like it :D
It is yours and Georges work mainly that as inspired me to do pieces like i am lately,so i just to keep on improving.
I like the idea of a plinth,again something i would never have thought of :roll:

Well it is very nice work and what I like very much is that instead of just copying a shape posted ( which there is nothing wrong with) you have experimented and tried something different.

And it works.

With the plinths I think they are a nice idea to take a piece into a bit more of a sculptural piece. It also directs the onlooker to think that the piece has more worth as it has been presented on a plinth. As it is giving it a real presence.

It does not suit all pieces but can be a nice addition.

Using a different media can add to this too such as a dark slate or stone base.

keep up the great work

Thank you again Mark/Dermot. :D
Mark.i do have another bigger log of the same Oak,so i might try a plinth or something on that one :D
Just added a piccy without the finial.

Back