Oak Framed Porch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a "little" job I have just completed , took me the best part of a week . The main trusses are made from semi air dried oak and the main columns are from green as green could be . The reason for the semi dried was to reduce the shrinkage in elements that wont be affected by the weather , ie under cover . The whole frame is fitted together with moritce and tennon and pegged including where the trusses connect with the main side frames . This was made from working drawings supplied my the main contractor and fitted by a third party . The only part missing is the finial which will be fitted at final height once the roofers have been and worked their magic . The first few pics show a dry fitting after production prior to delivery to site . What you can also see in the dry fit is some dummy pieces fitted at the ridge point to allow for fitting of said ridge once the frames were up . The whole lot was given a final sanding once the dry fit was completed .

Corbels being offered up , fitted with loose tongue on site .

Fitted on site

Thanks for looking

Very very nice Dusty. I like that central arch, adds form, depth and interest. Overall it's ornate without being overly fussy. =D>

Looks very good.
I assume the semi dried has good dimentional stability for cutting of the M 7 T joints and fitting etc. whilst the green will give character.

I bet you are glad not to have had to fit it on site.

Dusty
Thanks for the post and very nicely done! Personally the design is not to my taste but the client is always right.

If you have the opportunity can you post a photo when the porch is tiled. Thanks.

Evening Guys , thanks for the kind words on my work .I will be honest and admit I have never worked on such a larch porch with as much detail from such large sections of oak .

I am supplied with a set of design and working ( cad ) drawings and work to that . The idea of using semi-dried was to try and prevent to much shrinkage and try and keep the joints looking as good as possible as the customer is a particular "tricky" person to please . The lower section ( posts ) were green as we couldnt track down the sizes needed in semi dried and it would of been sacrilage to use semi dried where it would be open 100% to the elements . I didnt fit it , but the guys who did had rain on the first day , and you can see the tanalin leaching out on the base plates .

The pictures dont show it very well but the arched section , which is let in to a dado / groove , what ever you want to call it , 25mm wide by 45mm deep , is located centrally over the front two posts . The roof was close boarded using 18mm oak TGV boards and will be battened etc by a third party .

@Hanser , I beleive the roofers are working on it as i type ( sort of ) , as they are having to make the connection of the ridge board to the existing roof and additional work on valleys . I do agree the design is a bit heavy on detail , ie the corbels and arch sections , but this is a small side dwelling of a Tudor Manor and was deisgned to corrospond with the design and features of that . I will try and get some pics sent over to me when it is tiled and finished , including the finial fitting .

Cheers Sam

I can understand if the design divides opinion a bit because it's quite bold/definite if you know what I mean. I hadn't registered tudor but now you say it fits with what little I know. Oddly I wouldn't have thought I'd like it but I do, enough to nick your photos for ideas when I eventually do mine. (Muhahahha! :D ) so it shows what I know. I know you made this to someone else's design Sam so can I ask, those bits on the front legs at the bottom that look a little like skirts if that's the right word. Will they not just cup and peel away as they dry or am I missing yet another trick? Sorry if it's a daft question.
Cheers
Chris

The lower sections / mouldings on the bottom of the front posts were cut and profiled from air dried oak in the hope that they will remain reasonably stable over time opposed to using green oak , but it was accepted that they may need to be replaced if they warp too badly , but it was a design feature seen elsewhere and was requested .

Also , to prevent it looking unfinished on the ends of the Pole plates , ie what the rafters / trusses sit on the ends were router with a 45 degree cutter all the way round and the end truss set back 3/4 of an inch to give it a bit more design

cheers Sam

Back