Oak Featheredge Cladding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to buy some oak featheredge for the gables of the garage to replace the painted shiplap that is currently there and not in keeping (and rotten). I've done a bit of research but still have a few questions, if anyone has any helpful answers.

Is oak featheredge for this purpose usually green (as opposed to air dried, which is what I assumed it would be)?

What are the alternative timbers? There is a lot of oak on the house so it needs to match once its weathered down but is something else actually preferable?

Any suggestions of suppliers? Either striking distance of Guildford Surrey or would consider mail order if need be, don't need a massive amount.

Many thanks

Mark

Doug, Chestnut was one of the alternatives I was aware of, though know nothing about it myself. Your link and a google suggests its not normally supplied as sawn featheredge, unless you know of a supplier? I need it to be a featheredge profile.

Cheers

Mark

I used oak feathered on y summerhouse. it needs nailing on straight away and it dries in situ(its green) i hand rebated out the back with an electric planer as its very chunky.

I help maintain and restore the windmill at Nutley East Sussex so not too far from you. We occasionally need oak feather edge and get it from Willow saw mill at Five Ash Down just north of Uckfield. It is green so needs to be fixed in place reasonably quickly. Probably most sawmills will be able to supply.
Martin

Guys
Thank you for the replies, all suggestions and info greatly received. Work was bonkers today, I'll digest your comments and have a proper look at the links tomorrow.

Mark

I've no experience of either as cladding but if green then either may leech tannin; sweet chestnut is also prone to splitting. I've only used sweet chestnut in the round in our garden and it does split but it doesn't matter as it adds to the rustic look, the supplier told me planked chestnut is prone to splitting. We had a veranda built from green oak timbers and it leeched tannin like hell for 2 years which I regularly had to power wash off the veranda floor and patio which was a pain (looks really nice now though).

Back