Oak dining table finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim_reaper

Reaction score
Hello,
Have an oak dining table that we got second hand, probably from one of the big chains, oak furniture land or something similar. We've had it a good 8 years now and use every day. There's a couple deeper scratches but honestly I'm not even worried about getting them out entirely, I just want to get the surface resealed as have started to notice that if a little water spills the surface starts to go milky (although thankfully resolves as soon as its wiped away). Problem is, I have no idea what's currently on here. I've read somewhere about testing with linseed oil, acetone and denatured alcohol but that doesn't mention if it'll help with wax. I also don't actually have any linseed oil. I did try with a bit of butcher block oil which absorbed nicely into the multitude of fine surface scratches and left me nonethewiser.
I don't really want to strip the thing and the couple of deeper scratches I've previously touched up with a little wax filler so I'm happy to do that again once I fix the finish. But want to make sure that whatever I use isn't about to wreck what I have at the moment!

Attachments

• 16513873443636165652755785866677.jpg
    16513873443636165652755785866677.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
Back