Oak & Dayglow Kitchen - Long

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a kitchen that I have just about finished, just got a few more shelves and some painting to do.

It's for a client that I have worked for in the past. She phoned me in the summer to say that they were going to be moving and would I do the kitchen and bathroom for them before they moved in. So arranged to have a look while the previous owners were still living there, this is what it was like.

PICT0168.jpg

PICT0169.jpg

PICT0171.jpg

As you can see its a bit on the dark and cramped side so the brief was to get it looking lighter and more spacious. After a bit of poking around it became clear the the ceiling had been lowered in the past and an engineer was engaged to see if it was possible to remove the chimney breast.

This is what it looked like after a couple of days work, two skips and a big bonfire. You can see by the band of wallpaper that the ceiling had been lowered to hide the RSJ. There was a lath & plaster ceiling above the false timber frame & plasterboard and that all held up 9” of loose fill fibreglass – nice and dusty :wink:

PICT0259.jpg

As you can see there were a few services running between the two ceilings – alarm, phone, data, heating pipes and a lot of electrics which probably would not be to part P :roll: . All of these were rerouted and new power and lighting rings run back to the board with RCBO's to meet latest 17th edition regs

PICT0263.jpg

I asked the structural engineer to keep the piers supporting the chimney breast above as thin as possible so two 90x90 RHS tubes instead of brick piers sit on a pair of 152 RSJ set into the floor whapped in mesh and encased in concrete. Another pair of 152 RSJs span the gap, over engineered but it allowed for one of the webs to be cut away for the aga flue. Another 100mm concrete slab went into the opening for the aga to stand on.

PICT0270.jpg

The door to the side of the aga was also moved into the hallway, and a couple of days plastering soon had the room looking less like a building site.

PICT0274.jpg

PICT0275.jpg

And this is the almost finished job. The floor is 600x900 brushed black limestone. Work surface is 30mm honed (not polished) black granite with a mitred edge to make it look 50mm thick 680mm front to back. Carcases are all oak veneered board, draws (all 26 of them) are 15mm solid oak with dovetailed joints on tandem runners, facias are 30mm solid european oak in 90mm mismatched strips with a waxed finish. The corner unit is MR MDF and Tulipwood with a nice shade of green eggshell. :D

The existing aga was dismantled and then rebuilt in the new position, fridge/freezer is a 48” Sub-Zero, dishwasher is Bosch, existing microwave in cupboard.

Hope you like it

PICT0277.jpg

PICT0281.jpg

PICT0283.jpg

PICT0284.jpg

PICT0288.jpg

PICT0290.jpg

PICT0300.jpg

Due to being asked to do a lot of other work around the house it was not quite finished for the client when they moved in but near enough, back next week to finish the odds & ends then make a start on the bathroom and then there is a study to do after that.

Jason

I love it. The handles on the drawers are a nice touch. I don't think the day0glo green works for me. I'd have preferred it to remain white or a less striking contrast.

I realised why they wanted the ceilings heightened, but I do hate to see boxed in RSJ's. tough one to get around that. Still overall the work is outstanding as usual Jason. Well done mate.

Excellent job Jason.

Do you do all the 'building' type work yourself? This is how I have worked on my own house and although it gives you better quality control it is tiring.

Cheers, Ed

If you can produce that standard of work then I'm not surprised clients ask you to come back.

Fantastic work. Thanks for posting it.

Jon

Excellent work, a nice modern update and I think the green works pretty well. With regard to the previous comment about the boxed in RSJ, has anyone ever tried to make an architectural feature of one? Eg cladding in copper foil or similar shiny metal, something you just wouldn't expect but might just work. I'd love to have the balls (and cash) to fit copper drainpipes to the house

Lovely work, I think the colours & materials work really well - I like the green.

David,

p.s. Some would say that the existing kitchen was nice - a lick of paint and keeping the worksurfaces clear would work wonders!

Wow, another fantastic job. What is a honed granite work surface, compared to a polished one?

Really nice, Jason.

I must admit I looked at the first picture (of the old kitchen) without reading your text and thought 'What the ****?' but soon all was revealed!

It's fascinating to see how other people work, and that you get involved in the whole building job, rather than just supplying & fitting the cabinetry.

Presumably the unusually large number of drawers and the lack of any wall cupboards was the client's idea.

I like it - a lot.

Cheers
Dan

How do you make your photos look like computer generated images?
:lol:

Thanks for the kind comment and to answer a few of the questions

Wizer, it would have been nice to get rid of the RSJ but a lot of work. Would need the floor above removed, replace existing RSJ with UC (less depth) new joists and flooring. Was decided the gain was not worth the cost and time was also a factor.

Ed, I did nost of the work myself except electrics (partP) Gas/aga (corgi)
plastering/blockwork (don't do wet trades) and the granite.

Ironballs, Most of the time steels have to be covered for fire regs but it could have looked quite good done in a bright green intumescent paint :wink: You se a lot of copper or galv rainwater goods in the alpine parts of europe as they stand upto the ice better, don't think they would stay on your house long once the travellers see that shiny copper. I've always fancied having a tensioned chain as a downpipe like you find in Japan.

tsb, the honed surface is more like a fine ground glass - slightly matter - , its just not finished with such fine a grade of diamond pads. My preference if for a flammed finish which also does not have a sheen but is much more textured but it does not work with the mitred edge detail.

Jason

Back