Oak corner pergola help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albo

Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a modern corner oak pergola, but have never built one before and have some concerns over the structural integrity of the thing. Something like the pic below. I don't really want corner braces as I don't like the traditional look of them.

I have a couple of concerns:
1-The longest oak board is the front board which is 3.6m long. I was going to use a 200mmx65mm board for this - would this be strong enough to span that gap without bending with the additional weight of the 100x50 perlins. If not, what dimensions would be suitable? 300mmx65, or thicker 200x75?

2- Notice the 2 supporting pieces half lapped onto the front board. Should I be worried that all this weight will be supported on only half the thickness of the front board?

Many thanks for your advice

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 39
Not an expert but I would think you should be just fine with 200x50,no point in going thicker unless you want a chunkier look and it would be considerably cheaper .
The half lap will be OK as well, glued and screwed is the way to go, nice and relatively simple construction (y) (y)don't forget to use stainless fixings/screws to prevent staining of the timber :) oh and don't forget to show us the end result please (y)

Hi, I’m sure the front board will be absolutely fine apart from the half laps at the ends, I would House at least half of it’s thickness into the uprights with a couple of screws.
Had you considered using half round fence boards from agricultural suppliers for the top rails? Doubtful if you would get Oak though. Ian

I'm wanting to build a modern corner oak pergola, but have never built one before and have some concerns over the structural integrity of the thing. Something like the pic below. I don't really want corner braces as I don't like the traditional look of them.

I have a couple of concerns:
1-The longest oak board is the front board which is 3.6m long. I was going to use a 200mmx65mm board for this - would this be strong enough to span that gap without bending with the additional weight of the 100x50 perlins. If not, what dimensions would be suitable? 300mmx65, or thicker 200x75?

2- Notice the 2 supporting pieces half lapped onto the front board. Should I be worried that all this weight will be supported on only half the thickness of the front board?

Many thanks for your advice
Looking forward to seeing the chairs as well.

Not an expert but I would think you should be just fine with 200x50,no point in going thicker unless you want a chunkier look and it would be considerably cheaper .
The half lap will be OK as well, glued and screwed is the way to go, nice and relatively simple construction (y) (y)don't forget to use stainless fixings/screws to prevent staining of the timber :) oh and don't forget to show us the end result please (y)

Thanks for the input, sounds like they'll be fine. I'll maybe go 200x60 to be safe (it'll be a customer sawn order anyway as can't find pre-cut sized board that fit my needs). The half laps I was planning to screw 2 long stainless into each lap, and then plug them with some walnut for an added touch.

Hi, I’m sure the front board will be absolutely fine apart from the half laps at the ends, I would House at least half of it’s thickness into the uprights with a couple of screws.
Had you considered using half round fence boards from agricultural suppliers for the top rails? Doubtful if you would get Oak though. Ian

Thanks for reply. I didn't want to tie into the post in order to get more depth, and also I wanted the kind of floating look to the centre triangle. Maybe I could reinforce with a 100x100 triangle glued n screwed - you think they'll be enough? The half round fence boards is a great idea! Shame they're not oak though.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back