Oak cook book stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisWoodman12

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter asked for a stand to support the cookbook from which she was cooking. After some deliberation I designed and made one which was, as is my usual wont, far too complicated. But my daughter and I are extremely pleased with the result. The 'A' frame support at the back was originally loose but a hinge has been added to keep it captive. It can be hinged out of the way so the stand can be folded so it is smaller to store. The stand itself is made to look like an open book with a spine. The cat motif was a design requirement but carving a moggie is not one of my skills so a technique using a standard laser print out was used.
20180901_133413.jpg
20180830_120024.jpg
20180830_115921.jpg
20180830_115929.jpg

MorrisWoodman, I think that is absolutely superb, there isn’t one thing that I don’t think is perfect, love the way you have the book support angled. And love the A frame at the back. Not sure about the cat design, but I’m not overly fond of cats ha ha. Ian

The obsessive-compulsive contingent might suggest that you clock the screws, but I wouldn't dream of it. I wouldn't have come up with anything nearly as impressive, or fun - very smart work.

May I ask which method you used for the cat transfer?

That is very impressive. Love the design and that certainly took some work and love to pull off as well as you have done.

Another admiring glance from me. In fact, I will add such an item to my to-do list, as my wife is a Very Fine Cook Indeed and is forever sat at this table reading queer old cook books from 1925, some in French! That stand of yours would go perfectly. I see you have employed the proper slotted brass screw also.

Even now I'm pondering how to alter the design a bit so you can't charge me a designer's fee.:)

EshmielCotswold table & ladderbacks-1.jpg

Very nice. I think your daughter may find that some toggles to hold the pages open would be useful as many books, especially new ones, want to self close and the lip won't be sufficient to stop that.

I will edit with a picture when I get a moment. Done.

Yours is a much nicer job than mine.

Attachments

• toggles.jpeg
    toggles.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thank you so much for all of your incredibly marvelous comments. I’ll try and answer your questions.

The cat motif was a specific design requirement from my daughter who is very much The Cat Lady!

@Trainee neophyte The cat motif was printed in reverse onto paper using a standard laser printer. This embeds the toner into wax on the surface of the paper. This is then glued image side down onto the prepared wood surface (Three coats of Liberon Finishing Oil, plus Modge Podge over the area of the motif) with Modge Podge. After the glue has dried thoroughly wet your finger and rub a layer of the paper off. Let it dry and repeat until only the wax embedded image remains and the paper has rubbed off. I found the method somewhere on the web.

@MikeG. Yes the spine is sappy oak rather than a different timber. Yes a lot of work but, to certain degree, a labour of love. Daughter wanted something that would last – probably longer than I will!

@Eshmiel You don’t have to change the design: I’ll not charge. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. In fact I’m happy to share my sketches (not sure I’d go as far as call them drawings) with you or anyone else who is interested. They will be sketches as my designs tend to evolve as the build progresses. The brass screws were necessary to stop staining in the oak. Steel was driven in first, removed and replaced. Can’t use those Pozidrive/Philips things in a 'Thing-of-Beauty’!

@AJB Temple It’s not too clear but the bottom ‘shelf’ does have a lip at the front. I don’t know how well it works. I did consider toggles but preferred the lip.

What did I learn? When making up the ‘pages’ from slats of wood make sure all of the grain is running the same way otherwise one slat will always tear as it’s planed. Thank God for cabinet scrapers. Try to simplify the design more: it’s far too complex especially around the hinges on the base.

Hi Morris. I did see the lip. I just found that books are very naughty as get past lips.

Super job and I may copy parts of your design when I get time to make another one.

Looking forward to your next creation.

Adrian

Nice job Woodman, I'm sure your daughter will treasure that for many years to come.

👏

Bookstands are an excellent, but underrated, project. You can make them as simple...or as complicated...as you like.

Book-Rest-06.jpg

It's all on a comfortably small scale, requiring only a modest amount of expensive timber, but with enough opportunities for tricky details and precision joinery to satisfy any skill level.

Book-Rest-04.jpg

Book-Rest-05.jpg

Book-Rest-02.jpg

Book-Rest-03.jpg

The one element I still wrestle with however is the page retaining "toggles". I generally incorporate them, but can't help feel that they're a little too vulnerable to stand the test of time, and even if made from metal are unlikely to survive more than a few years. However, like AJB Temple, I don't find a "lip" satisfactory either. Somewhere out there is the perfect solution, but I'm yet to find it!

Back